One legged chick? :/

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TucsonAZ, Dec 27, 2011.

1. TucsonAZ

TucsonAZ Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2011
    Well, I have a one legged chick that we named Irene, it's pretty adorable and all but I also want it to have a good life. She is about 5 days old now and has started getting around fine hopping on the one leg but here is my concern. The bad leg is there and fully formed, it seems to function and articulate fine if I manually move it (I was checking to see what was wrong) but it stops working at the last joint so she can't actually put the foot down and it's kinda, um, stuck up there in the air. She has started to develop a callus on that, let's call it the knee joint which I think helps her slightly but the rest of the leg isn't good. So, do I try to take off some of the leg while she's still a chick or just leave her and see how it plays out? Anybody else ever have a chicken with only one leg? My concern is that this is an Australorp so she will be a big bird and if she doesn't turn out to be a she, she's going to be even bigger.

The only other egg in there that didn't hatch (I had 24 going) hadn't even pipped by the time all the others were out so I went to open it and see what happened. When I did there was a shrink wrapped chick in there, then I notice it's still alive so I pull off the membrane and it did a fair amount of bleeding. Anyway, I would have bet $25k that was a dead chick but after seriously 2 days of laying and doing nothing it is healthy as can be right now. There was no real point to that story other than they are both in the house together instead of the outside brooder.

2. lynnR

lynnR Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2011
    Foula, Shetland
    I had a chick who's toes were all wierd. They don't go out straight but kind of bend side ways. I raised this chick but knew from the start that I would have to eat her.
    Your chick won't be able to perch. Is the joint siezed or is it just immobile to the chick?

3. TucsonAZ

Oct 15, 2011
    No, it isn't stuck, it moves the chick just can't move it.

4. TucsonAZ

Oct 15, 2011
    Nobody?

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    "Irene?"
    [​IMG]

6. lynnR

lynnR Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2011
    Foula, Shetland
    Would you be able to get a pic on here, one of her standing and one close up of the part she stands on? I'm having a hard time visualizing this.

7. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    All I can say is PIC! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by