One legged chicken.... HELP!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wallace707, Nov 4, 2015.

1. wallace707

wallace707 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2015
    I have a 3 1/2 week old chick that is MUCH smaller than its 3 siblings (not sure if that's correct term in chicks) and it hatched with its leg in a fixed position that it doesn't use. Vet said probably not in pain, loves to lay on my chest and just be held.... Have separated from others in house in a dog crate. Eats, drinks and poops but I'm worried BC he's SO MUCH smaller than others..... Any advice??!!

2. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    I'm sorry to hear that. It sounds like it may have a deformity of some kind that is causing it to have stunted growth. Try feeding lots of nutrient and vitamin and mineral rich foods and teach the chick to exercise its legs. Hopefully she will learn how to get around well and may even be able to live out with the others. Watch out for roosters trying to breed with her, however.

I hope she remains healthy!

3. wallace707

Aug 10, 2015
    Thanks @gitabooks, we are really new to chickens, we have 5 silkies that are about 4 months old and they are great, these new chicks are growing FAST it seems but what kind of food should I feed the little one? I've only been giving the starter/grower..... Also there is no way to use the other leg and it already has callous on the joint from rubbing the ground but he uses his wings for balance too.... I'm so attached to him already!!

4. GitaBooks

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    Keep feeding the starter/grower but offer some vitamins in the water and scrambled eggs. You could try gently bandaging the leg to make it more comfortable for the chick to get around, putting some padding on the joint.

I've worked with disabled chickens before, and I always get so attached to them! One of my silkies got brain damage from being landed on by another chicken when she was young. She lived in the basement and I took her on walks in a hat and let her sun bathe and watched videos with her. She was such a sweetie!

5. wallace707

Aug 10, 2015
    OK thanks, I already put the probiotics and electrolytes in the water. Scrambled eggs huh?! Seems morbid [​IMG] but I know they got a lot of protein. What about yogurt? Can young ones like this eat the scraps I give older chicks or no?

6. GitaBooks

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    I hear yogurt is suppose to be good and chicks of any age love scraps. You just want to make sure the scraps are high in nutrients while it is weak, so avoid things like white bread (my chickens love white bread).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by