One legged chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mackenziesmomma, Oct 17, 2008.

1. mackenziesmomma

mackenziesmomma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    I am posting this in two forums because I am not quite sure where it best fits...

A raccoons got into my coop awhile back. Two young pullets lost a leg each. They seemed to have recovered but everytime I put them back in with the others, the other peck where their leg used to be. Will they ever be able to go back in the mainstream without being pecked?

tia! [​IMG]

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Maybe you could fit them with a bandage or something where the other chickens peck at. After a few days they might stop pecking.

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Awwwww, so sad !!!!!! [​IMG]

I hope someday they can !!!!! when the other chickens peck do they draw blood ????

4. mackenziesmomma

Jun 7, 2008
    they didn't draw blood...but I didn't leave em in there for long once I saw what was happening. [​IMG]

5. Tootsie

Tootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Northern NJ
    Awh, the poor things. How are they getting around? Are they hopping? My best goes out to them.

6. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    I would be surprised if the flock allowed the one-leggers to peacefully live with them. They are different, and chickens don't really like different! Do you have any way to keep them in a separate area? They are really at a disadvantage, and would have a hard time escaping injury.

Good luck with whatever you decide! Please keep us posted on their progress.

7. mackenziesmomma

Jun 7, 2008
    I am afraid if I do let em go with the other ones they will be constantly pecked. [​IMG] I guess I will try to give them away to someone who will only have them or will keep them separate from their flock. I am in Fort Worth, Texas if anyone is interested. They should be great egg layers. They are 3 months old.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  8. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    aww so sad! [​IMG] Poor girls.
    First of all, please don't just sell them. [​IMG] Give them a chance! [​IMG] Would you like it if you had such a disadvantage and the people around you(like family/friends) Just said, "Oh well, she doesn't fit in well. Lets just give her away to some retirement place". ??? [​IMG] Duh! Of course not. So, why do that to the hens? Because they aren't human? Because humans should get better stuff than animals? NO! :mad: Think of some ways you can help them instead of just giving up on them. [​IMG] Let them spend some time with the flock, but not in it. Put them in a separate chicken run, let the others be able to go near them from the other side of the fence, and that way they may get used to having the two 1 legged hens around. [​IMG] I would give it a try. Why not?
    I hope it all works out and sorry for your poor hens. [​IMG] I don't want to sound harsh, I'm just irritated that you put them with the rest one time only, and it didn't work, so you went and decided to put selling them as a good option(which it isn't unless you have tried everything and failed)
    Good luck! :aww

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I'd keep the onelegged babies separate from the others.
    Only because this will keep happening because they're different.

10. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    Milton Florida
    Thats to bad, the others will always take out the weak, and these one leggers don't have a chance unless removed from the flock. As for the replacement, you can use a shish kabob stick, not sure how to attach it, then you can call them pegleg peckers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by