One legged duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MrsColeman, Dec 27, 2014.

1. MrsColeman

MrsColeman Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2014
    Texas
    Help! My neighbor has a duck with one leg. He wants to put her down. i think I can save her. I have a little pen in the back with two ducks in it, and plenty of space. Do you think my ducks will take to her (Cherry and Ariel are both female) and do you think she'll be ok with one leg? She seems to get around ok by "scooting," and seems otherwise fine.

1 person likes this.
  2. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    I would certainly try it if I were you. There is probably some good info online and there are some on here that will definitely help. Questions I would ask myself are is she acting happy, eating well, looking healthy other than missing a limb and things of that nature. I think as long as the quality of her life is good, then giving her a chance is a wonderful thing. If you do decide to take her, please keep us updated on her progress. I think it's wonderful that you want to hElp her. Just introduce them slowly, maybe make a small fenced area with in the area your ducks are in, so they get used to her but she is safe. Once they seem like they have accepted her, you can make introductions slowly.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  3. The ChickenKing

The ChickenKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2014
    NY
    I'm not a duck expert, but there's a goose at the lake by me who does just fine with one leg, the duck should be okay with one leg, I don't know how your ducks would react though. Good luck! :)

4. MrsColeman

Jun 28, 2014
    Texas
    When I got my Cherry, she only had one good leg, and did ok on it until she regained use of the other one... But I worry because this is different. She doesn't HAVE the other leg. But, my research has pointed to ducks being able to ducks being able to live with one leg, and I think I can even build her a "wheelchair" out of pvc, so she can stand some and get off of her belly a little bit, (like maybe bring her in for a couple of hours a day to get up off of it). I found a tutorial and it doesn't seem TOO difficult to do. He told me I could have her, but she's proven rather difficult to catch, which I think is a good thing, really, because it means she gets around ok. lol

5. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Please keep us updated. I am rooting for you both!!!!!!

6. MrsColeman

Jun 28, 2014
    Texas
    Update!
    I have convinced my neighbor to not put her down. She is doing well, and still gets along well with the other duckies in her pen, so I told him that I'd care for her if she needs extra care, so she can stay with her friends. If the time comes he doesn't want her, he said he would bring her to me. :) Yay!

Knowing him, she will probably wind up with me eventually lol but for now, I think this is great for her.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Wonderful update!! your nice to care.

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by