One legged hen (Polly)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by xxStarStruckxx, Sep 18, 2016.

1. xxStarStruckxx

xxStarStruckxx New Egg

Nov 3, 2015
    Last spring we incubated about 12 eggs. Only one hatched and so we had to get a few chick's locally to go with her. She got into a little accident with the ride on mower and to make a long story short she is now one legged. We have had her separated while she healed and now I am having a hard time integrating her back with our flock and her other friends she had grown up with. She laid her first egg today!!!! I can't cull her because of her disability but I feel she is lonely. When I let her go near the flock the roosters jump her and the hens will attack her. :( I know there is a pecking order I am just scared they will kill her. Anyone have any advice?

2. SueT

SueT Overrun With Chickens

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    She's got quite a story! How does she move around--hopping? flying? Do you have a photo?
    I don't know if they will ever accept her. I hope you can figure something out.

3. xxStarStruckxx

xxStarStruckxx New Egg

Nov 3, 2015
    She hops and gets away when chased but I am scared of her getting cornered. This is a picture of her and the lavenders she grew up with. With her we have a total of 16 birds. [​IMG]

4. xxStarStruckxx

xxStarStruckxx New Egg

Nov 3, 2015
    I can't find a picture of her with one leg. But she is such a beauty!![​IMG]

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    The problem is single bird integration, maybe made more difficult because she's one legged.
    You might try isolating her again with a couple other birds that aren't as 'mean',
    allow them to form a 'group', then try to integrate the group back into the flock.
    Would be best to isolate them adjacent to the other birds coop/run.

Read up on integration..... BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
    This is good place to start reading:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

6. xxStarStruckxx

xxStarStruckxx New Egg

Nov 3, 2015
    That makes a lot of sense. I know I just don't want to leave her to the wolves. I will put the lavenders back with her and see. Thank you for replying. I was thinking about maybe getting some more hens so I don't stress out the existing flock.

7. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I would make her a pen where she can be in the same area as the other chickens, whether inside the coop or outside with her own coop. After some time, a few weeks to months, the other birds will be used to her and you could start letting her out to mingle under supervision. She will probably always require your daily help to keep her safe and happy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by