One Less Opossum.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by nightcap, Jul 29, 2010.

1. nightcap

nightcap Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2009
    I usually have to get to sleep before dark so I have my son lock up the chickens once they hit the sack. I even reminded the Mrs to Remind him last night because I had a hunch something was going to make an appearance. They forgot to do it so at 2:30 in the morning I was awoken by the racket only my chickens can make. I got a great shot off from my bedroom window.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Good shooting! Hope your chickens are all ok.

3. ChickenTender63

ChickenTender63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Alamance, NC
    Must have been a night for possums to be out on the prowl last night. I
    Woke up at 12:30 last night with the feeling that something was wrong
    And that I needed to go check on the chickens.

I have a 10'x12' shed converted into a nursery where I put chicks and raise them till
    Thay are big enough to go to the hen house. Right now, I have it full of rare
    Breed chickens that I have been trying to get started. Right outside of it
    Is a tree and grapevines that my "yardbirds" roost in. They are 3 roosters
    And 3 hens that always refuse to stay within the coops so I just let em run.

I went out with my spotlight and I started shining it around the nursery house,
    And when I shined it in the tree and started counting my 6 yardbirds, I noticed
    A possum was within a foot of one of emn with his mouth wide open and looked
    Like he was ready to lunge. I picked up a pole I had there and started beatin him
    As he ran up the tree and got away. I need to get a 22 for nights like those.

I checked bout every hour the rest of the night and everyone did fine. I left
    The light on in the nursery and put a radio on out there also to help deter
    Him from coming back. I know I was just lucky, and my time is coming,
    But I'm sure not gonna just let em have a free dinner.

4. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Cool, was he on the way out or on the way in? ( Good stories by the way.) I've heard here that they definitely do get chickens. I lost one a few months ago, eaten right in their yard (I was out of town). I've never had anything but a possum in the coop so I'm assuming that's what it was. I had some vet tell me awhile back possums don't get chickens (I guess he don't have chickens).

5. nightcap

May 13, 2009
    Quote:The Opossums seem to go after the eggs more but have attacked my chickens I think. I found a LOT of feathers after a possum visit. What I'm really afraid of are the Raccoons. One actually grabbed a chicken drug it over a fence and started to eat it alive. A pellet gun seems just to tick them off. It did drop the chicken and run off though.

6. nightcap

May 13, 2009
    Quote:I'm glad you caught the son of a gun in the act. (or before the act) It's nice to see others get that hunch that something is up.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  7. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Glad it didn't do any harm.

I had one come to close last night,

RIP Missy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. nightcap