One less roo in the flock.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CheekyMare, Nov 11, 2011.

1. CheekyMare

CheekyMare Chillin' With My Peeps

He was showing signs of some type of sickness and was the only one showing. We segregated him this morning and I made the decision to cull him tonight. He also seemed to have a genetic defect in that his beak would not close all the way. Not something that needed to be passed on in any case. [​IMG]

I'm new to chickens but I know that I can't put the rest(as well as the wild birds) at risk for one bird. Plus I have horses and The Three Encephalitises are endemic here. Still, he seemed like a nice sort. We made it quick and are burning him now.

2. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]
    It happens.

3. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    It sounds like you did what you needed to do and kept a level head about it.

4. CheekyMare

CheekyMare Chillin' With My Peeps

Eh. I'm lucky. I have an assassin. I'm big enough to admit that I would have had a harder time if Juan wasn't so willing to do the deed for me. (I still would have done it, it just would have involved more waffling and sighing then crying. [​IMG] ) We have a deal, I make the decision, he does the deed. He doesn't like to make the decision so...

We have a LOT of roosters. Some of them are going to end up as soup or tamales. I better get used to it.

I hope that's the last sick one for a while though. I have 40-ish chicks that will be ready go out into genpop in about a month. (and more in the incubator)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by