One little Blue Swedish

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by texasturtle, Mar 10, 2015.

1. texasturtle

texasturtle Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2015
    Texas
    [​IMG]
    Only one out of 3 eggs. Other 2 their heads were facing middle of egg instead of one of the ends. This guy started coming out on day 30 but has been struggling the entire time. It is currently trying to get itself free of the umbilical cord. Currently not too hopeful.

2. texasturtle

Mar 9, 2015
    Texas
    Kinda worried this little guy is not able to sit up or walk. It did take all day for it to finally get free of the umbilical cord. Both legs worked good for that job. But it is just pushing itself around all night and this morning. I was told to try and get it to eat some banana by another person anyone ever hear of doing this?

3. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    They don't need to eat for up to 3 days but most of the time usually 24-48 hours is when they should eat. If the little guys head is not up then he won't be able to handle eating or drinking. Sorry I'm not a hatcher so I don't know what to do to help. @Lacrystol @casportpony

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  4. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    What's the status on the little guy today? Sometimes they need an extra day to develop some strength, Is he holding his head up, He will need some Vitamin B3.

What happened to the others, did you have a sticky issue?

5. texasturtle

Mar 9, 2015
    Texas
    It's still trying hard to stand and seems to be doing alittle better. Sometimes it just suddenly hops instead of trying to take a step. This week I was suppose to have 11 duck eggs hatch. Some were facing the wrong way others seemed to big for the shell. Don't really understand why so many failed but from my understanding this happens too often.

6. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Oh upside downers! I love help those out, I think they are my favorite because of the challenge.

Try to get a hold of some poultry drench. Give him a little drop or two that should help a lot.

7. texasturtle

Mar 9, 2015
    Texas
    Giving little one some vitamins. It started sifting through the liquid onthe spoon tonight. Hopefully this is a good sign.

8. texasturtle

Mar 9, 2015
    Texas
    Any suggestions on getting little one to drink the poultry drench? So far no luck with just dropping it on side of bill. It just shakes it off.

9. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    You have to be patient, they don't like the taste, you simply set it on the tip of his beak but watch his throat, if he swallows at all, that's good, just keep working with him. Don't open his beak and force it. just hold it at the tip. sometimes rubbing the cheeks will help. what is his status? is he walking? is he holding his head up, Did his belly button shrink down and is it closed?

10. texasturtle

Mar 9, 2015
    Texas
    It's neck seems alot stronger today. It will stand for tiny amounts of time. If you put your hand in with it it will stand and start rubbing its head between your fingers. But, it's starting to have what seems to be little chocking fits and will cough up liquid. Can hear a clicking sound when it breathes. Still chirping alot when awake. Stands andtries to get out of its llittle box. Wants to be held but I know it needs the exercise of trying to walk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by