one little duckling isn't thriving like her sisters

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dehave, May 19, 2008.

1. dehave

dehave Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2008
    I got 3 baby ducklings on Saturday. 2 were just a few hours old and 1 was 2 days. Dandelion has looked weaker than the other 2 since she was hatched. She is making progress every day, but is still behind her sister that she hatched with. You know how when they are first hatched when they fall asleep their heads slump down to the ground, but when they are a little older and they sleep their heads resting upright on their bodies? (does that make sense?) Starting yesterday her sisters head rests upright while sleeping but she still just lets her head fall where is may. Her eyes also bulge out a little. It's like the her face hasn't filled out completely. She also falls asleep constantly. She can run around and she eats and drinks well, but then falls asleep about twice as often as sister. Could she just be sleeping alot to catch up? Is it okay for them to progress at different rates? Also, her bill seems paler than her sisters. And her sister seems a little bigger than her today. We named her Dandelion after a duckling that we tried to rescue that died right when we got her home. I don't know what my daughter will do if Dandelion 2 dies. Thanks.

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Ok, duck people, dehave needs help with her duckling... Can you put vitamins in her water until someone comes on to help you? good luck!

3. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I'm still a newbie and I had a weak one but it didn't make it. It died the day after I got it. She was somewhat like you describe.

OTOH - I had a weak gosling which perked up and is outside running around and swimming as we speak.

In my case it was luck. She was stronger than the duck to begin with.

Try the electrolytes, make sure it gets up to eat, dunk her little head in the water if she won't drink and keep her warm. Don't let the others pick on her and just see how it goes.

Hope she perks up soon. [​IMG]

Julie

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  4. MaryT

MaryT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2008
    Elkton
    I hope she gets better

5. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    I had one that acted like that. It died when they were 5 days old. I tried to offer it mash, hand fed it, added vitamins to the water but it just never grew and gradually got weaker. Hope yours does better. I don't think there is anything you can do for failure to thrive. Some pull through, but I think most don't. Sorry. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by