One LITTLE girl

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mendogurl, Apr 12, 2009.

1. mendogurl

mendogurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Hi everyone-
    So my chicks were 8 weeks old on Friday. All are getting HUGE, except one. The rest are maybe 8 - 10 inches long, she is maybe 4-5 inches. She can still fit in the palm of my hand.
    Seems to be eating and drinking well, walks fine. She is by far the most cuddly of the bunch, seems to need some TLC. Any advice? Should I separate her, just to give her a little room, the rest are become good and solid, and she tends to get pushed out of the way a lot, just due to her size. Or is it best to let her work it out?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Leave her in. Even though she's smaller, she probably doesn't know it. If you suspect she's not getting food/water, add a second set of dispensers. Many hatches contain a runt or two. [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Bantam? or Runt?

4. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    She would probably be more upset if you removed her from her friends. I would leave her .

5. mendogurl

mendogurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Thanks everyone.
    What are the signs I should be looking for that something is wrong?
    My sense has been that she was the runt, but that is based on nothing more than a feeling.
    Anything extra I should do for her? She has become my fave...

6. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Our runt is our favorite also. She is a buff brahama and will kick any butt in the coop including the roos. When they get treats she always manages to get more than her fair share. If she can't get to the bowl she goes under to get the droppings from the others. If they aren't dropping enough she just rares back and jumps into the middle of the others untill someone lets her in. I think yours will be just fine. Good Luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by