One Lone Chicken Left

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by okgatesgirl, Dec 25, 2012.

1. okgatesgirl

okgatesgirl New Egg

Jun 2, 2012
    Norman, OK
    I need help and advice. We are new to chicken raising, but all was well. We had three chicks born in September, built a gorgeous coop, and let them free-range in our small backyard when we were home. Yesterday, on Christmas Eve- the two neighbor dogs chewed thru the wood fence, and killed two of our girls before we could get out there. One, Miss Ginger, managed to hide in the leaves and survive. She is now alone in her coop, snug and warm...but alone for the first time. What do I do? Do I try to find another pullet about the same age? I have a friend with 30 surprise two week old chicks who has offered however many I want- but I don't know how to introduce chicks to a 4 month old hen? What are the risks? The neighbor was horrified, and is replacing the fence with chain link and a dig down panel on his side, etc. to ensure it never happens again. Any suggestions?
    -

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    So sorry that this happened. The chicks will need supplemental heat, and it can be difficult introducing smaller chickens to bigger. If possible adding a pullet or two from a good stable source (breeder/fancier) rather than from an auction might be a better idea.

3. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Definitely try to find her another chicken friend her age!! They get very upset when alone. I wouldn't try to introduce the young chicks to the 4 month old pullet, it could go well (best friends) or it could go very badly (she kills the chick), hard to say. You could separate them by a fence and see how they do, but wouldn't 2 week olds need heat lamps anyway? Might be too much work, and you should look into finding older friends for her.

In the meantime, you can give her a stuffed animal and a mirror to make her feel like she has some company, not to mention you spending as much time with her as you can and giving her extra treats. Good luck.

4. okgatesgirl

okgatesgirl New Egg

Jun 2, 2012
    Norman, OK
    Thank you, thank you. I love the mirror idea! I remember having a parakeet as a child and she loved "talking to herself" in the mirror...so that makes sense. I will try to find a close-to-the-sam-age-hen....
    -p

5. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Im sorry for your loss. Did you contact the owner of the dogs ? Keep in mind now that the dogs know that there is yummy chickens over there they will be even more persistant so make sure your coop is like fort knox and that your chickens arnt out unless someone is out there with them. I would get her some friends but read up on intergrateing chickens with others. Good luck . If you have a kindle there are some kindle chicken ebooks for free there today. One has something on integrateing but I havent read it yet so Im not sure how good the info is just wanted to let you know that kindle has free chicken ebooks. and youc an down load kindle on you rpc if you dont have an adroid phone or kindle thingy.

6. okgatesgirl

okgatesgirl New Egg

Jun 2, 2012
    Norman, OK
    Thank you again- to each of you who have responded today! Mysunwolf- special thanks! We took our makeup mirror and hung it from the rafter right over the top perch. She is "snuggled" up against her image right now... We also put in a stuffed "Stich" doll from Lelo and Stitch ('Ohana'- no one gets left behind). I will sleep better tonight. Thanks again!
    -p

7. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    It is my understanding also that chickens are very unhappy without other chickens for company. Craigs list can be a good source for one or two chickens, when you don't have the time to order directly from a hatchery and wait for them to reach a particular age. There are some rules to folow regarding quarantene to keep from introducing an illness to your existing chicken. You might also get lucky looking for other folks on this forum who live in your area and might sell or give you a few of their chickens to keep yours company.

8. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Is she comfertble around you? If she is you might bring her inside to hang out with you when your home give her some company while you search for friends for her . You could always hatch some eggs and intro the chicks when they get older though that would mean she was alone for awhile.

9. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

how's it going?

I've introduced successfully, here are my tips:
    (Introducing Page link below)

10. okgatesgirl

okgatesgirl New Egg

Jun 2, 2012
    Norman, OK
    It is going beautifully! We found a hen about a month older and the introduction was perfect. I think our Miss Ginger was so happy to have a real chicken with her, and our new Black Betty was so happy to have only one ( she came from a flick of 30), that they be AMR fast friends. Plus we are now getting eggs! I am waiting for spring to bring on two or three more to complete our little flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by