1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One lonely Buff Orpington - What to do?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by morrighan, Dec 8, 2010.

1. morrighan

morrighan New Egg

Dec 8, 2010
    I have two Buff Orpington girls. One just passed away. Although I am so sad that she is gone, I'm very concerned for my remaining girl. The one who died was the leader of the two. I'm not sure where to go from here. Should I get another hen to keep my surviving one company? Would that cause more harm than good? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

The girl who passed did not seem sick. She did get broody a lot more than the other one, but that was the only difference I could see. She was a happy hen, friendly, ate well, laid eggs regularly. So I don't think she had any disease.

2. nook addict

nook addict Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    At B&N
    I would say get another one.... or fifty! [​IMG]

Just make sure they don't have any diseases, quarntine them for the necessary amount of time, but once they get to know each other it should work out well! [​IMG]

3. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Agreed, gotta get another, chickens are flock animals and need each other's companionship to be happy and healthy. Look around in your area (or post on the thread for your state in the "Where are You? Where am I?" section of BYC) to see if you can find someone with a hen or two around the same size of your hen. There will be a little introductory scuffling, but it will resolve itself and your girl will be much happier in the end.

4. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Quote:Normally, I am a HUGE quarantine stickler, but in this instance.....well, I would just stick them together honestly. Of course, don't get a hen that's obviously ill in any way and I would dust for lice/mites and worm as precautions. Just my .02.

5. morrighan

morrighan New Egg

Dec 8, 2010
    Thank you all for your thoughts. I just don't want to put her in any danger, as she was not the alpha-chicken of the pair that I had. Should I still with Buff Orpingtons, or does it matter? Should I get more than one, or should I stick with just having two since that's what she's used to? I feel so badly for her! And I'm so sad for my other girl!!

6. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    It really does not matter what you get as long as the size and age range is the same. A BO would be great however!

They do get lonely. I had to remove my Cochin Rooster from his flock of mixed chickens. I searched high and low for him some girls. I say quarantine however. Where they can see each other and interact that way for a while. But quarantine protects your chicken as well as the other from any sickness. It is hard.....but worth the effort.

7. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    I think breed does matter - not all the time, but some breeds can tend to be more aggressive than others. You can look for breeds listed as docile / tolerate confinement on the Henderson breed chart
    http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

or ask about specific breeds on BYC. BO, BA and EE's are good choices and there are many others. My silkies and cochins have been exceptionally friendly and docile but not great layers. I've had mixed luck with RIRs and bad luck with crazy white leghorns and Andalusians. If you get an adult you will know a bit more about their temperament. There are always exceptions but I'd stick to breeds that tend to be docile to improve your chances of getting a docile new friend.
    Good luck.

8. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Get another one, but remember to KEEP YOUR LIMITS! Rehab is expensive...

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I'd get another hen. If you get two and they knew each other beforehand, they will always be the "in group" and your hen will be an outsider. So if you get two more, you might consider getting ones that don't know each other.

I wouldn't bother with quarantine for one hen. BUT, I would use one of the pour ons to worm, demite, and delouse. Also Sevin Dust to kill anything that thinks about getting past the pour on. And again in a week, more Sevin dust to kill the eggs.

Some of those pour ons have egg withdrawal times- be aware.

Some diseases actually contaminate your land, coops, etc.
    And some diseases will leave chickens asymptomatic carriers. So it is tricky to buy hens. But the worst punishment IMO for a chicken is the loneliness of not having a chicken friend.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  10. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    Sorry for your lost bird. If I were you I would get about 25 more birds [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by