one lonely chicken

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sarahmeh, Jan 30, 2017.

1. sarahmeh

sarahmeh New Egg

Jan 30, 2017
    Hi there!
    I recently lost 2 of my 3 backyard chickens to a predator. I have one lonely girl. I found someone selling hens from her flock, and I wasn't sure If I should take just one from her and find another chicken from a different seller? Since I only have one chicken, is it easier to add new chickens in? Thank you!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Well, you will certainly want to get your remaining a friend or two as chickens don't do well singly. I would assume the same socialization process would have to occur even though you are adding only one to a remaining one. But I would think it would be a much shorter process. Good luck to you!!

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

It might be easy, it might not...ya never know with live animals.
    Can depend on the space you have to work with and/or the demeanor's of the birds involved.

The risk of bringing in pests or disease is real, it's your decision but pasting this info anyway.
    BYC Medical Quarantine Article
    BYC 'medical quarantine' search

Read up on integration..... BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
    This is good place to start reading, tho some info is outdated IMO:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

4. tlzimmerman

tlzimmerman Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2017
    Gove, Kansas
    I've got one lonely chicken right now too, she comes and sees us every day though.

A bunch of new friends are on the way next week though!

5. tychick11

tychick11 New Egg

Mar 14, 2017
    Hi all I have just lost 1 of my chickens and I only have one left but she is unusual as she is transgender and I am not shore if she will except a new mate or be fine on her own as she has high male hormones if any one can help that would be great

6. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    To the original poster: I would get two from the seller if you can. Especially if they are full grown. I would put them together at night, and there might be a few scuffles, but I would not expect too much. Your chicken will have the home court advantage, and the other two will be strangers to your bird, but friends with each other.

DO NOT get anything you are sorry for. Healthy generally looks healthy, and you are really only risking one bird. There is a risk, but not a great one.

To tychick11 - what makes you think your hen is transgender? In reality, this does not really happen in chickens, although, some hens will take on the dominant role if there is not a rooster?

Mrs K

7. tychick11

tychick11 New Egg

Mar 14, 2017
    To mrs.k - My chicken is very dominant and has grown rather large spurs and will make loud male calls to the other females not sure if I need a roster to reverse it or if she will be fine as she is
    Ty

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Chickens are not actually transgender.

How old is this bird?
    Can you post pic of it?

9. CityFlockKeeper

CityFlockKeeper Just Hatched

Mar 15, 2017
    Vancouver WA
    I had the opposite problem. A friend of mine lost all but one of her birds to a predator attack after a windstorm damaged the coop. When I introduced her to my flock my birds where fine but the newcomer showed signs of aggression and feather picking for a few days. She is now the dominate chicken in my flock(also the oldest) and all is well in the coop. I am very happy she is doing well and has lots of friends to run around with.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by