One lonely hen, How should I add just one more hen?

Dara77

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 4, 2012
I have one BCM hen that is about 8 months old, she is not laying yet, but looks like she is ready to. I have had predator attacks on the pullets I got this year, (started with 7) and am now down to just her. We have moved and she is in a locked shed with ventilation we are converting to a coop. I have a friend who has Blue Laced Red Wyandottes that are 1 and 1/2 yrs old and will sell me one. I thought that might be best since she is a big hen and has picked on the small ones in the past. She seems miserable and isn't eating or drinking much at all now. How would you integrate the new one? Just put her in at night with her? Thanks in advance!

I have one BCM hen that is about 8 months old, she is not laying yet, but looks like she is ready to. I have had predator attacks on the pullets I got this year, (started with 7) and am now down to just her. We have moved and she is in a locked shed with ventilation we are converting to a coop. I have a friend who has Blue Laced Red Wyandottes that are 1 and 1/2 yrs old and will sell me one. I thought that might be best since she is a big hen and has picked on the small ones in the past. She seems miserable and isn't eating or drinking much at all now. How would you integrate the new one? Just put her in at night with her? Thanks in advance!
Your hen sounds very lonely. She needs chicken company and fast. Since she's lonely, it's possible that you won't have much trouble getting her to accept a new hen, but you must supervise the initial introduction. Also be wary of buying a hen that's too big. If the hens' sizes are too different it could result in the smaller hen being bullied.

Good luck
smile.png

Good advice above, I would just add that depending on your climate, I would definitely like to see her with a companion for the winter. It is hard for one bird to keep warm if your winters are very cold. Introduction of a single bird should go smoothly, especially bringing it to her coop! Just observe behavior carefully. Good luck with your predators. My coop has been converted to fort knox due to predation.

Back
Top Bottom