One lonely hen

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by katie80gleason, Nov 29, 2016.

1. katie80gleason

katie80gleason Just Hatched

Nov 29, 2016
    I've recently lost 2 hens to Hawks. (At least I'm guess that since there is no sign of struggle or intruders otherwise) if I put bird netting up over top with some red ties on it so they won't fly in, is that a decent solution ? Also, now I am down to one lonely 10 month old hen. I read I should quarantine any new chickens I bring in but cannot buy another coupe for this process. Is it better to keep my Chicken alone or take the chance of bringing her in a pal? Also...is there another way to quarantine another hen without another coupe ? TIA!

2. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    Chickens want the company that a flock provides. She will be happier with friends. You can keep the new bird/s anywhere that gets low foot traffic and that is separated from the Hen you have such as a ad hoc corner of the garage or a spare bathroom really for one or two birds you don't need a lot of space for quarantine.

3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG][​IMG] Sorry to hear about your lost chickens, yes chickens are very social creatures and always need companions. They sleep better eat better and over all are happier chickens. It would be best to find another companion to insure a happy family. There are many unwanted chickens out there so perhaps finding one of those will help your sole chicken friend. Best of luck! We are all here to help...if you were closer I would send some chickens your way....

Autumn Farm Orpingtons/ Washington State

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Hello and Welcome to BYC.

So sorry about your losses and the lone hen issue.

Good luck with her and your plans to find her some flock mates.

5. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Always Thankful Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello[​IMG]and Welcome to BYC!

So sorry you lost some girls :(. I have had hawk problems and the best solution was cover the run. I also agree with the other members, your girl is better off with a friend. If you have any other questions feel free to ask!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. N F C

N F C gobble gobble Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Sorry to hear of your losses. Hawks will keep coming back once they know where to find a meal so covering your run is an excellent idea.

Good luck finding some chicken friends for your one girl.

1 person likes this.
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    OR you may want to make her a house chicken. Please check out "people with house chickens." Often times birds are so happy with being in the house - they forget all about chicken friends. She would also be safer from predators if she let her out in a covered pen for supervised outings. Humans do make good substitutes for poultry.

9. katie80gleason

katie80gleason Just Hatched

Nov 29, 2016
    To handle my house chickens' bathroom needs: should I put a diaper on her or will she learn to use the potty? Also... Where does one buy chicken diapers?

10. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you joined us, I do hope you will make yourself at home here. Enjoy BYC! I have heard of some people just letting their chickens roam the house with no diaper and just keeping the Clorox wipes handy. I think that is the nicest for the hen. Google ''Chicken Diapers'' and there are a few good resources that should pop up. I have heard of some folks ''paper training'' their chickens, though I am not sure how you would go about it.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by