One lonely hen....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by korlia, Mar 1, 2014.

1. korlia

korlia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2013
    South Africa
    I have read quite a lot of threads on one lonely hen, but here is my question and scenario. I hope this is the right place in the forum to post.

We had 2 pekin/cochin bantam hens and a pekin chick of 8 weeks old until Thursday afternoon when one of my dogs got out from the backyard (someone left the gate open -grrrrrr) and we lost our little chick. We are all so very heartbroken. My dilemma is this. One of our pekin hens is currently brooding in the broody pen on eggs and my other hen is now all alone in the chicken tractor. I feel so sorry for her, she is all alone and looks so sad. When I open her up to free range in the morning and evenings she just comes into the house and sits with us inside, she doesn't even take a dust bath ( which she used to love)

I am considering getting her at least one hen to keep company until the other hen has finished her brood and the chicks will be old enough to integrate in the flock, BUT since my broody is only 1 week into the brood it will take at least 8 weeks before they will be together again.....

If I get her a new hen to keep her company I'm thinking I will have to quarantine the hen in any event leaving her alone for another month and by then if all goes well the other hen will almost be ready to free range with her chicks so she will not be THAT lonely?

I am pretty sure she crowd this morning- which I have read is not unheard of but not that unusual, maybe it was the traumatic event that caused this.

SO please guys I need advice and lots of it!!!

2. paddyg84

paddyg84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    I have introduced without quaranteen before. They take a few days to a week to integrate but they were fine. Get her a partner and they will get on,soon enough

3. Triple Willow

Triple Willow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    Unless I was okay with my bird getting sick and dying I wouldn't put a new bird with her without the 30 day quaranteen. Is she located where the broody hen is? I had rather wait than put a new bird with her.

4. korlia

Sep 11, 2013
    South Africa
    No, the broody is on her own in a broody pen away from the chicken tractor and my broody rarely gets off her eggs. I've only once picked up broody poop in the first aeek, so they really dont see each other?

5. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    What would be wrong with putting the lonely hen over in the pen the broody uses? That way, she will get the benefit of knowing she isn't alone when the broody pops out to eat, drink, and poop.

It will be just two more weeks and the chicks will hatch. There's an excellent chance the lonely hen will be thrilled to help raise the chicks, rather than feel the urge to harm them. The chicks and the broody mama will likely only be cooped up three more days after hatch and then they'll be out in the pen learning how chicken world works.

That's what I would do anyway. I've found that the more complexity you introduce, the more problems you invite.

6. Triple Willow

Triple Willow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    I agree. I'd try putting her with the broody.

7. korlia

Sep 11, 2013
    South Africa
    Thanks for the advice guys. I cannot place them together the broody run is really too small, but I did move them next to each other so that they can see each other. Hatch date is Friday, hold thumbs!!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by