One lonley chick

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicknduck, Dec 14, 2010.

1. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    I hatched 2 chicks on Thanksgiving day and one just didnt seem to be right well it died a few days later. I am wondering how lonley my chck cheepers is. I gave him a stuffed animal to cuddle with but I am concerned. I will be getting 25 chicks from McMurry hatchery on Feb 2nd will I be ably to put cheepers in with the babies?Is there anything else I can do? Oh it is a EE silkie cross. Any suggestions are appriciated.

2. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    I tried to have just one chick, but couldn't stand how lonely she seemed. I got her a friend at a swap and now they are BFFs, and it is much better to integrate a pair into the ones you are getting in Feb. Find her a friend. This is what mine did all week, along with sad, sad, chirping and not eating enough:
    [​IMG]

3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Chickens really need other chickens. Even a lone chicken in a flock of chickens of other ages will have a hard time integrating. Get her a pal or two her age asap.

4. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    If you post where you are, I'll bet someone out there has a chick they would give/sell you so Cheepers won't be so lonely. By Feb 2, Cheepers will be nearly 2 months old and HUGE compared to the babies.

These were my girls at 8 weeks. http://picasaweb.google.com/sharol46/8WeeksOld#

I
    suspect that the integration could be tough on the new arrivals.

Quote:

5. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Where are you located? I bet there's a BYCer out there who can help. I'm in NE Kansas and have chicks!

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You don't say where you are or people would be offering already. Make a thread in the wanted to buy section, and get that chick a buddy.

7. chicknduck

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    I am in western Pennsylvania. I really would love to get her/him a friend. She/he eats well and is such a great and pretty bird. It was my first hatched chick on Thanksgiving to boot. I want to do good for cheepers. If anyone would help I would greatly appriciate it.

8. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Quote:How far are you from Boyers? I have silkies that should hatch this week and silkies that hatched last month. Boyers is at the top of Butler county.

9. chicknduck

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    Quote:How far are you from Boyers? I have silkies that should hatch this week and silkies that hatched last month. Boyers is at the top of Butler county.

I did the google map thing and I am an hour and a half from there. I am near pittsburgh.

10. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Quote:I have to come to downtown pittsburgh tomorrow....can you meet during the day?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by