One lost pullet

sunshynertc

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 1, 2014
California
So we worked all day to fence off a section of our yard so that the hens and pullets could mingle. Since I had the pullets and the hens in parallel runs the hens did not peck at the pullets. The alpha hen was/is the mother hen of the pullets so I think they will find their place in the pecking order soon.

I made sure the fence was high enough so that they would not get out. After dark I went to see all all of them had found their way to rest for the night. I counted and there was one missing. I looked and looked and I could not find her. I asked my family to help me find the lost pullet. We found her. She had gotten stuck in the small space between the coop and the fence. I have to make sure they cannot get into that section.

It is going to be easier when my hens and pullets are one flock.

Glad you found your pullet. It will be easier when they're all one flock, but don't count on your alpha hen protecting them or helping them move up in the pecking order. If they've been separated for any length of time, all maternal feelings are gone.

The hen that was the mother of the pullets was the alpha hen. She has resumed her spot as the alpha hen. As the alpha hen she does not seem to be real mean to the other hens, she just controls the flock. I will keep an eye on both the hens and pullets.

I am glad that the pullet was stuck behind the coop rather than lost.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom