One LOUD-MOUTH chicken won't shut up!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chick4chix, Oct 21, 2009.

1. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    I have six 27 week old pullets- (2 wyandottes and 4 EE's) four of which are laying two are not. One EE girl in particular bawk.bawk.bawk.bawk.bawk.bawk...bawgawsqaaaaaaawwwwwks so freakin loud I think it will raise the dead! She sounds like she's screaming at the end of her tirade. She does it before she lays and egg, after she lays and egg, if she's thinking about laying an egg, if someone else is thinking of laying an egg, if someone else is in the nest or not in the nest- she never shuts up- she is like the neighborhood gossip always flapping her beak. At first it helped to run out and give her something to eat "treats" then I began to think she was training me to do that- any suggestions from fellow- louthmouth owners? Thanks [​IMG]

2. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    I have one just like that..we named her Janis. I don't believe there is anything you can do. She is just more talkative

3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Some people have said that their loud mouths calm down some as they grow more accustomed to the egg business. It's hard to say. But i loved that noise and didn't want it to go away. [​IMG]

4. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Sounds like she is just a loud mouth. [​IMG]

I always have at least one of those. Who ever thought hens were quiet? [​IMG]

5. chick4chix

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    I agree- she's funny! She's the one who tries to get out the gate when I'm coming in too- but if I have food - she follows me right back in. I can't tell you how many times she's knocked it out of my hand until I realized she was going for a crash-landing and hung on tight- ha. I love all their different personalities- so fun to watch. [​IMG] We just happen to live in a neighborhood where we are not supposed to have chickens- no way are my neighbors not going to know with little miss chatty yakking it up [​IMG]

6. jnkir7

jnkir7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    jonesboro arkansas
    yep sounds like my alice allways got something to talk about most stubern sorry bad spelling .she is allways first at everything,,telling on everyone,,,[​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have one of those. I originally named her after DH's ex-wife, but DH disliked hearing that name all the time, so I changed it. Her name is now Jezebel. She never shuts up. [​IMG]

8. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Quote:Give them free eggs. That's what I do. My loudmouth is named obby (short for obnoxious!) she is also a treat fanatic, she is at the top of the pecking order and I'm afraid if I got rid of her another one would become just as loud when they stepped in to fill her shoes (er... feathers?).

9. chick4chix

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    Quote:Give them free eggs. That's what I do. My loudmouth is named obby (short for obnoxious!) she is also a treat fanatic, she is at the top of the pecking order and I'm afraid if I got rid of her another one would become just as loud when they stepped in to fill her shoes (er... feathers?).

What do you mean by free eggs? Never mind- I just figured it out- I thought you meant to give the chickens free eggs- LOL![​IMG] You were talking about the neighbors:) Yes- I have promised fresh eggs to them but so far I haven't had enough to share:( Not everyone is laying yet( 4 yes- 2 no) although today I had my first 4 egg day but yesterday had nothing. I love the name obby- very cute.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  10. eekgads

eekgads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Central VA
    LOL! I've got one speckled sussex (who's the smallest & oldest) that I've named Madea. [​IMG] I've discovered she DOES shut up when the hawks are flying over!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by