One male and two females diamond doves - breeding

Roseselene

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2019
Hi all. I have an issue and was wondering if anyone has encountered this. We have a pair of diamond doves that are a breeding pair but we have a second female that was very young and had lived with them for a while with no problem. Even during breeding. She would randomly lay eggs in some odd location of the cage and then sit on then for maybe a week and move on. Recently my daughter said she thinks the male mates with her too! So she’s been sitting on eggs and we decided to check. We candled them and one of them is live and growing a chick!! I’m not even sure what to do here. Will she feed the baby without the male or will the male help if a baby hatched? Or is this setting up for a disaster? If anyone has any thoughts, I’d appreciate it. Thanks
Amy

Well it's not surprising that he mates with her two. It is unlikely that she will sit all the way through and be able to raise it by herself but possible. What is the weather like where you are? If it's to cold I wouldn't let them try. But if their inside you might as well see if she can. Are the other pair on eggs? Hope this helps.

And welcome to byc! I hope you enjoy it here.

Back
Top Bottom