One male paired with 2 females...?

Upon occassion I have had a male pair with 2 females. In these instances the male only shared nest and feeding duties with one of the hens.

I have also had this happen a few times. If both hens lay in the same nest then it is okay, but if they choose different nest boxes then the cockbird will only help one and therefore the lonely hen's eggs should be thrown out. I've had single hens raise them successfully but they were not the best looking youngsters.

All 3 seem to be nesting in one nest! No eggs but all three have been spending the nights in the one nest and now the 2 females are starting to stay within a few feet of it during the day, I ad thought there were eggs but turns out I was wrong.. could they be getting ready to start laying npw?

All 3 seem to be nesting in one nest! No eggs but all three have been spending the nights in the one nest and now the 2 females are starting to stay within a few feet of it during the day, I ad thought there were eggs but turns out I was wrong.. could they be getting ready to start laying npw?

maybe..... are they all sleeping in one nest? that must be a tight fit!

Back
Top Bottom