One mean rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Julia-Rose, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Julia-Rose

Julia-Rose Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    I have this rooster at my place, well I have two but this topic is about one. His name is red (yes ha ha very funny red rooster) and he is very agressive. He attacks everyone, and my father has his back turned today and got his head scratched while Red was outside the pen! Is there anything I can do to prevent this behaviour? Is it normal?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  2. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    Teach him that you are the alpha rooster. Any time her starts to act aggressive, swat him with a broom. I once had to carry a broom with me for about six months. My rooster, Jonathan, would try something every time my back was turned. All I had to do was stomp the broom on the ground and he would back off. After about six months, Jonathan, finally got it. I am the boss. Haven't had any problem since. He knows I am head rooster and we are buddies.

3. Julia-Rose

Julia-Rose Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    Quote:Thanks for that, but we have tried kicking him in the head. Maybe we weren't kicking hard enough... LOL! I'll give it a shot [​IMG]

4. brownysfp

brownysfp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Correze, France
    Two of our roos have tried it on: the Maran was a mean enough sod when he arrived but sorting out the resident roos gave him delusions of grandeur. Brooms are pretty good though he got the handle end a couple of times, too. He's calmed down but the Sussex has taken to piling in if any of the hens are handled. He got punted into the water trough the last time he was a have-a-go-hero.

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I cull all roos that attack me or anyone else! I will not breed a mean roo as that gets passed on to his babies! I had one a few years back that attacked me on Mothers day morning! 6 am went out to feed and open coops for the day...This jerkwad had come after me alot in the previous months and nothing I did changed him. When he flogged me at 6 am in my pink bathroom and gashed the back of my legs so bad I had serious blood running down-I tackled him to the ground-grabbed my huge pruning shears and ended his rein of terror! No regrets but dang still have the scars! I say off with his head!

6. Tool

Tool Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Quote:Well dont beat around the bush with you solution...[​IMG] HAHA

7. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    We've dispatched a few ourselves.

8. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Quote:X 2 and way to go Nat lol...
    Think about what could happen if he went after a small child too!! Get rid of him!!!!!

9. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    We cull aggressive roosters immediately too. Never had any luck changing their wicked ways.

Mean roosters are exceptionally delicious. [​IMG]

10. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    [​IMG] we send bad roo's to freezer camp also, I have one right now that needs to go, he has tried to go after me several times fortunately I had jeans on. I don't trust him with my grand kids in the yard. Love your salutation Nat [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by