one molting others picking

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by real_redhead, Nov 8, 2011.

1. real_redhead

real_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    I have 1 EE who is molting, she was integrated into the flock (4 girls) in July, it took a while for the other to accept her and she has always been at the bottom of the pecking order. She started molting a few weeks ago and I don't know if this has anything to do with the others and her behavior but she is acting nervous runs back and forth in the run wanting to get out (I only let them out when I am home some evenings and most weekends). The other are not molting and they are picking on her horrible! I was home today (cause a deer decided to play tag with me yesterday - another whole story!) and I kept hearing this awful squawking....I thought something was trying to get them and I find all the other chasing the EE and picking at her. I know they are chickens and have a pecking order but I am worried about her, seems to have lost a little weight...she is my favorite since she is lowest in the pecking order, she is cute and when laying lays a bluish green egg. She is also very docile and will fly up on my arm, come when called and answers when I talk to her. I have only been raising chickens since early spring so this is the first time I have experienced a molt.

Any ideas??

2. RoosterRidge

RoosterRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    Please keep a close eye on her because we had two pecked to death. They started pecking feathers out and then they were gone. We were able to save one or it would have been three. I know they have a pecking order but if they peck enough or get a blood feather they will not stop until they have killed them. The one that we were able to save is only here today because she jumped into one the nesting boxes and they could not get to her rear end. After this happened they started to lose feathers on their backs and butts. They have just now started getting their new feathers in but it still didn't keep me from panicing and thinking they were just all pecking trying to kill each other.

3. real_redhead

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    I checked her over today worried about that same thing that they may peck, draw blood and then the worst! I also forgot to mention that the EE is sleeping in a nesting box because they won't let her on the roost. There is plenty of room but when she tries to get up they peck at her. I tried helping out the other night and she got up but then the pecking began and she got down and went into the box. Poor thing I was talking to her and she would answer it was pitifil. It was like she was saying I'm nice why are they mean to me and why aren't you helping! Just seems to be getting worse.

4. RoosterRidge

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    Anyway to separate her from the others. I have found that they are just big bullies. I hope for you that you don't have to go thru what we did. Poor little baby, they sound so pitiful anyway and when they are hurt or sad it makes you feel worse. [​IMG]

5. real_redhead

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    I was thinking about seperating but I don;t have anyway to do it out side that would be safe and secure where she would have room. Then I worry if I did seperate her would I be able to reintroduce them later one?

6. RoosterRidge

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    I was able to reintroduce both the injured and the pecker back after 2 wks. So far so good, we are going on 2 months now with no problems. We are really lucky because I have heard such horror stories. I do make sure to give them meat several times a week as well as their regular food. Black oiled sunflower seeds they love but trying to keep 25 birds happy with that is really costly. I give them scrambled eggs and they seem to be doing good. We are able to let them out to free range also for several hours a day. You might want to go to Tractor Supply and see if they have a Flock block in stock. That has done wonders for us, keeps them from getting bored so quickly. I just noticed that you are in Roanoke, we are between Martinsville and Danville. If they keep on picking on the poor baby you may have to think about trying to get her a new home. I know I would not want to have to do that as I still have the ring leader in the pecking drama. My husband wanted her gone but I have to give her a chance to be a good girl. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by