One Month Old Chick is Roosting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicky Tocks, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    With the big girls!!! [​IMG] I'm getting a picture of this tonight, I promise! [​IMG]

I went out last night to check on my chickens. They didn't get to free range yesterday because it rained, and it had crossed my mind that my mother BO hen and her single chick had been sleeping on the dirt floor...there had previously been two mother hens to that single chick, but one has started laying again and I wondered if she was still on the floor as well.

So when I got to the coop and run, I looked in and there was no hen on the floor of the coop. I freaked out, looking for my baby chick, and then all the hens started coming down the ladder, one by one. In the very middle of that line of hens was my little one month old chick, strutting down that ladder like that's all it had ever known. [​IMG] About halfway down the ladder, it jumped and flew the rest of the way. I suppose mama hen decided that she was tired of sleeping on the floor and if that chick wanted to keep being a baby, it had to roost with her.

I'm looking forward to when she starts laying again and that little chick gets in the nestbox and tries to lay an egg too. [​IMG]

2. thespinningcottage

thespinningcottage Songster

Jun 24, 2009
    Arcadia, Florida
    How sweet!!! I'll be looking for your picture!

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I'm subscribing to this topic. I'll be looking for a picture too.

4. SunnyChic

SunnyChic Keep The Sunny Side Up

Mar 7, 2009
    aww! I can't wait to see a pic!

5. nature nut

nature nut Songster

Aug 3, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    How cute! I used to like watching my BO chick sleeping on her practice perch with her head hanging down to the litter. Wish I had a picture of that. I'm waiting to see yours [​IMG]

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I'm subscribing to this topic too and waiting for pics...

7. Chicky Tocks

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Sorry girls. I went out with my DH last night and didn't get the pic, but tonight it's on!

8. thespinningcottage

thespinningcottage Songster

Jun 24, 2009
    Arcadia, Florida
    [​IMG]

9. Chicky Tocks

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Ok here's a preview video of the little big chick that I have named Uno. That should fit a pullet or a roo huh?

[​IMG]

10. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    COOOOOL good job.

AL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: