One month old chicks shaking heads

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by xmissjadie, Nov 27, 2011.

1. xmissjadie

xmissjadie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Eugene, Oregon
    One of my chicks got sick and had a cough and was sneezing and was shaking his head. I gave him duramycin and he got better. So I put him back in with his siblings. Now they are all shaking their heads, but no coughing or sneezing or acting lethargic. Should I be worried? Should I give them duramycin?

2. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

if that worked for that one I would give them all some if it was coughing or sneezing I would recommend tylan 50

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Sorry I cannot tell you if there is a chance that it is a respiratory ailment affecting the other chicks. But I do have this to add:

When my chickens were shaking their heads it was mites. Check carefully around the vent and under the wings. Also if you are itchy when caring for them or holding them that is a clue (I never could see them on the chickens...I found them on me).

Since they are so young, if it were me, I'd not treat just in case...only if there was a problem. I treat mine every 4 months and retreat in 10 days. But not at one month old.

Here is a handy link if you decide to treat (and retreat or they'll be back):
    http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

4. xmissjadie

xmissjadie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Eugene, Oregon
    I checked them for mites and they don't have any.
    How is tylan given?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by