One month old, feathering in, time to try again...

Jeffross1968

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2011
Smoky Mountains
These are our "rare pullet special" chicks from Ideal, hatch date 2/1. Hoping we might get a better idea of what they are. We have some guesses, that I'll add to the post, but don't let it sway you
tongue.png
Our guesses come from what they looked like as day olds, and from the color of feathering so far. Could be way off, LOL. Here we go.....

Chick #1 We think these are Egyptian Fayoumis...

Chick #2 Maybe Rose Combed Brown Leghorns?

CHICK #3 Cuckoo Marans?

CHICK #4 Welsummer? Please, please be a Welsummer?

CHICK #5 Also Egyptian Fayoumis? I dunno....

CHICK #6 No, earthly idea...kind of like the one we think is a Barnvelder below...

CHICK #7 Golden Campine...looked like a tiger when born....

CHICK #8 We think, oh, we hope...Black Copper Maran?

This could be, perhaps, Barnvelderish?

So come on your gender guessing professionals, let me have it! By the way, they SHOULD be all pullets....

Also on the cuckoo maran- my friend and I split an order from McMurray last spring. She got a CM. As a chick it had a little Zorro mask on its face, and *if I'm remembering correctly* pink legs. I have no idea what they are, besides JPC (just plain cute) :)

I concur on the rose combed brown Leghorn. The one you're hoping is a Welsummer might be or it could be another brown Leghorn, just with the straight comb. It's really hard to tell without seeing them together to judge relative body size. Your "golden Campine" looks to be a silver Campine. The suspected cuckoo Marans has yellow skin rather than white so I'm thinking not Marans. Maybe Barred Holland?

That's all I've got
big_smile.png

ETA: OH, maybe the cuckoo look is actually mottling. They sell mottled Javas there. I'm going with that on 3.

Last edited:
IDK... Partridge Rock or Barnevelder on the dark brown ones? Not sure how to tell which at this stage.

Last edited:
We ordered the same assortment, at the same time...we're also trying to figure what ours are...lol...after looking at a LOT of images online...I think the chick in #1 is likely a Fayoumi...we have 2 that look like that...I pretty much narrowed the choices down to 2...Fayoumi or Iowa Blue...then started searching page after page of images for those two-breeds...lol...after getting eyestrain...I finally decided Fayoumi was most likely...

Back
Top Bottom