one month old questions

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lowry075, Jun 30, 2011.

1. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    Hi, my chicks are a month old and I will be integrating them into the coop with two hens before summer is over. (They are stil in a large brooder as I have no seperate enclosure for babies, just my older hens' coop).

1). At what age can they eat the lay mash the hens eat? They currently are still on medicated mash.

2). Also, they pick through the grit pan I have for the hens; is this okay? There is a bit of oyster shell in the grit mix.

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    You can give them lay mash when they start to lay eggs.

Also, a good thing to do when the time comes to integrate is to switch all of 'em over to grower/finisher feed.
    All chickens/chicks can eat that.

Don't give them oyster shell at this age. Wait till they're about 18 weeks old.

They don't need the grit unless you're giving them something other than their mash. But the extra grit won't necessarily hurt them.

At a month you don't have to continue with the "medicated" feed if you don't need to. They can just eat the regular chick starter/grower.

Enjoy your babies!!!!!!! [​IMG]

3. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    You can give them lay mash when they start to lay eggs.

Also, a good thing to do when the time comes to integrate is to switch all of 'em over to grower/finisher feed.
    All chickens/chicks can eat that.

Don't give them oyster shell at this age. Wait till they're about 18 weeks old.

They don't need the grit unless you're giving them something other than their mash. But the extra grit won't necessarily hurt them.

At a month you don't have to continue with the "medicated" feed if you don't need to. They can just eat the regular chick starter/grower.

x2​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by