One more for the infirmary and this one is disgusting -pics, very yuck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BlueMoon, Jan 14, 2008.

1. BlueMoon

BlueMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    8 month old sweet Amerucana hen. I think what happened is that she's moulting and a roo was too hard to her. I noticed it a few days ago, cleaned her up and have been watching...but there are seven who look very similar. And today...it's like the wound is forming an open pocket.

This is a few days ago:
    [​IMG]

And this is a poor picture from a few minutes ago:
    [​IMG]

Also - I don't know if it's worse to put her back into coop, with or without saddle guard, with lots of roos OR keep her in the infirmary with respiratory issues. Also, it's supposed to be mighty cold the next few days, so the coop is going to be a bit crowded.

Poor DH - he's lost his mudroom. I'm at a loss on how to treat this, bar stitches.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  2. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    I would most definitely be keeping her inside where she is warm. Wash her wounds in warm soapy water and apply antibiotic cream. And then let her rest where is is quiet and warm. Hope she gets better soon!!

3. BlueMoon

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    inside she stays the...but I did what you have suggested a few days ago - the photo doesn't show it well, but the skin isn't reattaching.

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I went through the same thing with a few hens. This is what I did.

Cleansed the wound well with a wound rinse. Then slathered Neosporin on the wound, and pulled the skin over the laceration.I then put a gause over it, and wrapped it with more gause. Put her in a small cage, where she could only lay(small cat carrier works great)...not move around....for 3 days. Make sure to clean and slather it every day, and clean her bedding. Keeping her in the dark helps calm her. After 3 days...removed the bandage..and let her up to walk around,and covered the wound with Blue Kote. She healed fine, and is laying again...but very scared of the Roosters!
    I sure hope your hen recovers.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Keep her away from a rooster for quite awhile, like months...he has messed her back up something awful...inside in a warm dark location and lots of protein like scrambled eggs fed back to her...and keep an antibotic going....my thoughts

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    My horse had a gash like that-deep. The edges were not going to close. I washed with soap and water everyday, and picked the yukky scab away, and applied betadine. It heals from the inside out, and I can't even tell where the wound is now.

7. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    It sounds like you have to many roos. You should have one roo for about 15 hens. This not only stops some of the fighting, it also gives the hens a break. If you do decide to keep all the roos, try triming thier spurs. This will save you the trouble of keeping your hens in saddles.

8. BlueMoon

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    We do have too many roos - harvested 15 a few weeks ago and some of the undecided then decided to be male. harvesting again come February! I think I know who the culprit is though and will check his nails and spurs.

We cleaned her off, with iodine, wrapped her with triple antibiotic cream and gauze and she's inside for the next few days. Giving her pedyalite and every treat I can find.

The others in the infirmary have respiratory infections (I think) and have just gone on Duramycin - I'm thinking she may as well too as she'll probably catch the infection or that I won't be able to keep the water separate. Any thoughts?

Also, DH thinks this is not the same one I brought in a few days ago - so I'll be checking the rest tomorrow.

9. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    yikes that's a nasty boo-boo!
    sounds like you got some really good advice/instructions.
    please keep posting updates so we know how she is doing.
    [​IMG]

10. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I, too, would keep her in the infirmary. And also on the meds you have the others on. She is in close proximity to them so therefore needs to be treated in order to hopefully prevent her from getting their infection. I'm not sure what all Duramycin is used for but, you need to consider an antibiotic for her wounds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by