One More Reason to Love My Hens

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Preservation Acres, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    So I'm sitting outside yesterday evening, enjoying the cool temps with my favorite hen on my lap. I'm kicked back, relaxed. She's about to fall asleep on my lap as I pet her softly.

Then, in comes a mosquito ready to put an end to our peace. It lands on my hand, but before I could swat at it, my hen snaps at it, swallows it, then closes her eyes again and falls asleep.

Life is good with chickens. :)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Hey, neighbor!

So what kind did you end up getting? Did you get your house finished? Clearly you're enjoying it out here. Yay for the bug eating chickies! [​IMG]

3. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Ya know, I've noticed that too...fewer mosquitoes around this year in my neck of the woods. I wonder if the girls have anything to do with that...I know they sure put a dent in the grasshopper population [​IMG]

4. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Quote:Hey! We're living in Murfreesboro for now in Riverview off of Thompson Lane. We got there just in time for the tornado, but it missed us by a block.

We haven't even started with the house yet. It will be a while, but we have the land. Right now I have just 5 hens to keep me pacified. :)

I'm sure that I'm driving some of my snooty neighbors crazy, but the city ordinance says I can have up to 8 hens...he he.

5. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Oh my goodness! I'm so glad you weren't hit by the tornado! That was the scariest thing. I have friends that live within blocks of the worst of it. One guy said the streets on either side of him were destroyed, but his street was fine (totaly giving credence to the theory that there were actually two tornados swirling around each other!). EEEKKK!!!

Yay on the five hens! I was wondering if you had just managed to build your house REALLY fast. I was about to be completely impressed at your carpentry skills. HA! As long as you don't have roosters you are probably fine. Hens aren't any louder than barking dogs. What flavors did you finally choose? Did you do LF or bantums?

I have found another Rockvale BYCer! Go Rockvale! He raises seremas and some other white bantum. He and his wife have a great setup. It was great fun meeting them!

Well, congrats again on getting the chickens. Nice to be able to scratch that itch right now instead of having to wait until the house is built. Now the sheep and goats and all likely will have to wait... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by