1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

one more silkie question (about eggs)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by aubreynoramarie, Jul 5, 2010.

1. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    yes we brought home two silkies yesterday and my boyfriend is just enthralled with hopw mellow they are. they are more friendly with him on their first day here than the girls we bought as babies that are now eight weeks old! he wants to get rid of them and have all silkies now but the reason i got chicks in the first place was for eggs. do you guys think silkie eggs are big enough to justify keeping them for their eggs? i certainly dont need anymore freeloading pets running around here.

2. briteday

briteday Songster

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    We have a couple of silkies that we keep for eggs just for the family. The eggs are bigger than quail eggs but smaller than a standard pullet egg. Since we sell most of our eggs, the silkies are just enough for the three of us. On the other hand, silkies are notorious for goiung broody...you'll be without eggs for a few weeks every time that happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by