One more Swollen Crop cry for help

Maeschak

Songster
Mar 29, 2016
Maryland, USA
Hello there, I have read tons of these 'my chicken has a swollen crop!' posts over the years, and now when I finally have a chicken with a swollen crop I can't seem to figure out what to do! So please help if you have a second.

I just noticed this morning that one of my older egg-laying sex links (about 2?) has a crop so swollen (at least I am guessing it is her crop) that the swelling covers her entire front right quadrant. (She is swollen from right under her beak, over her chest, and around to her right wing.)

Has anyone ever successfully dealt with a crop area that was that swollen? It is SO swollen that I am scared to even try to catch her or touch her. (She is just standing in the pasture- not moving with her eyes slowly closing and opening. She does move away if I get to close though). It sort of looks like her crop has exploded under the skin and there is some sort of fluid filling in everywhere (even over to the shoulder of her wing)... So, any ideas what is going on? I am guessing it is just an extreme crop issue but perhaps something else?

I have never personally dealt with a crop issue, so I am also not sure of when the situation is too much for human intervention and whether or not it would be best to put her down.

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

And sorry for yet another swollen crop post- I have just never seen anything this extreme and am worried about even attempting to do anything such as message.

Yes, I believe it is an impacted crop. I will try to get a pic tonight and upload it if I can. Do you have any idea if there is a point of no return for impacted crops? The swelling is so large and covers so much of her that if I cant help her I don't want to make her more uncomfortable by catching her and messing around with her.

Well, she is still alive and the swelling is still present. On Tuesday I made her throw up (I thought I might only have hours to save her life so I opted for a more 'extreme' course of action.) She threw up dark green/brown liquid. The swelling was down for awhile but it didnt last. Her crop and chest are all gooshy feeling so I doubt it is an impacted crop. I am guessing sour crop? I may try to get her to throw up again today. I am just not sure.

On a side note, however, there is another chicken who seems to have a swollen chest/crop area this morning. I will check on her again in a few hours to make sure it is my imagination, but is there any sickness that affects the crop and is communicable? Im hoping I was imagining the swollen chest on the second chicken but who knows.

Any tips are helpful!

Well, she is still alive and the swelling is still present. On Tuesday I made her throw up (I thought I might only have hours to save her life so I opted for a more 'extreme' course of action.) She threw up dark green/brown liquid. The swelling was down for awhile but it didnt last. Her crop and chest are all gooshy feeling so I doubt it is an impacted crop. I am guessing sour crop? I may try to get her to throw up again today. I am just not sure.

On a side note, however, there is another chicken who seems to have a swollen chest/crop area this morning. I will check on her again in a few hours to make sure it is my imagination, but is there any sickness that affects the crop and is communicable? Im hoping I was imagining the swollen chest on the second chicken but who knows.

Any tips are helpful!
I

I am devastated today I lost my favourite chicken. She has had sour crops couple of times, I massaged her crop while upside down the contents of the crop just kept coming I couldn't clear her mouth and she chocked. I can't help blame my self I'm gutted!! I will never do this again my poor Hetti. I hope things turn out well for you.
Fiona.

I am devastated today I lost my favourite chicken. She has had sour crops couple of times, I massaged her crop while upside down the contents of the crop just kept coming I couldn't clear her mouth and she chocked. I can't help blame my self I'm gutted!! I will never do this again my poor Hetti. I hope things turn out well for you.
Fiona.

I am so sorry about poor Hetti... and thank you for your kind thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom