one more time..Clarification on lockdown times and temps....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by blkwdw, Jun 14, 2011.

1. blkwdw

blkwdw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    I set my eggs in the incubator on May 28th at 06:00am... so June 15th is the 18th day...do I go into lockdown at the end of the 18th day (which technically would be june 16th at 06:00am) or anytime during the 18th day?
    Also, I have them in a turner, temps have been ~ 100-100.5 at the tops of the eggs, when I take them out of the turner, will I need to increase the temp a little since it will be a tad cooler at the bottom of the bator? I do know to increase humidity [​IMG] thanks for any help

2. blkwdw

May 29, 2011
    I had 12 hatch out of 18- 3 were not fertile, 2 died during pipping- eggs were completely full of chick ( no air sac) and 1 looked like it died a few days before..so not too bad of a hatch, but I would still like to know the answers to the first questions.. I did adjust temp so it was at 100 at the floor level. Next problem was, as the chicks were hatching ( day 21) the temp shot up to 102... does it always do that? the babies looked like they were panting so I sneaked my hand in and pulled the babies out... humidity stayed at 70%, the two that died during pipping died after I opened the incubator but two more hatched out fine so, don't know if I shrink wrapped them. should I have left the babies in the warmer temp of 102, I couldn't get it to go down.. Help please as I have turkey eggs incubating now and I anticiapte the same problems..

3. greening

greening Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    the end of day 18 is when you start lockdown, so in your case it would be the day after. i personally dont mess with the temp. i put the thermometer even with the eggs and keep it at 99.5. i've only hatched 3 batches with one in the incubator now and all 3 times, the temp has been really hard to keep stable when they hatch. its better to have it a little low than a little high. heat will kill them faster than cold. hope this helps [​IMG]

4. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    99.5 is what I would keep it at.

5. blkwdw

May 29, 2011
    ok, thanks, I have turkey eggs in the bator now, I believe the temp is still 99.5 for a still air bator?
    It fluctuates between 99.5-100.5 at the top of the eggs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by