one more

Discussion in 'Quail' started by thekid, Feb 24, 2011.

1. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Do quail lay eggs all there life or are they like chickens and lay for two years?

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    They will lay for all of their lives, but not as many. Chickens lay more than 2 years though...

3. thekid

I think it may depend on the breed of chicken my friend says thats all that they lay well his breed maybe hahahahhaha

4. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    It may depend on the species of quail, not to mention the individual bird her self.

I lost my dino coturnix hen after 3.5 years during the freaky weather conditions here. She laid an egg at least 48 hours before she died. It really depends on a number of variables.

I don't compare "Quail" of any species to chickens...because they are not chickens. [​IMG]

5. thekid

Should i buy the grit that online places sell or could i use something else that i could find in the backyard possibly

6. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:A sand box will provide all the grit they need..... little dirt, little sand, little D.E., oil dry from carquest is 100% D.E., just be sure it says 100%. I use it and they love it. You can get crushed oyster shell at farm supply stores too for calcium\\grit.

7. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    You could also buy cuttle bones for caged birds and grind it up.You could use sand,but sometimes it binds them up.
    In N.H.,Tony.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by