one nasty hatchery

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Tikkajazz94, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't buy full grown hen from rochester hatchery,
    i might of thought the hatchery was a good one in the past but not anymore.

2. Diva

Diva Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2008
    Salem Oregon
    Hey wolf bird! What did they charge you for your adult hen? Craigs list in Oregon is selling hens for 15.00. I just worry if they were taken care of or not and I don't want to infect my current flock with strangers. None of my hens seem to want to hatch eggs out yet and I am don't want to hatch eggs out this late in the year. [​IMG] Linda

3. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

could we have a little more info on why?

4. Tikkajazz94

I have a friend who ordered laying hens from them so she went to pick them up and all the rest of the laying hens were outside when its cold (freezing) and its raining, not like a sprinkle, but like raining cats and dogs.
    oh and I ordered 24 rirs and like 80% of them had bent toes,
    well that is my thought on them,
    I still might order from them next year, but yeah,
    What do you think,
    Should I leave it and order from them next year or talk to them?

5. walls0stone

walls0stone Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2008
    what's so bad about being out in the cold? I tought free to roam birds were good?

I have had birds that wanted to be outside and would have the option to go in or out to warm or cold. They would stay outside in a hemlock in snow. But hey, I'm not a chicken so whatever makes them happy.

6. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    My birds would rather frolick in a downpour or snow then be in their nice dry coop [​IMG]

7. Tikkajazz94

Oh ok, Thank-you.
    You changed my mind

8. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    The bent toes is an issue I think-could be genetic. I wouldn't order from them again if you don't have to.

Diva-Hello from the Salem area neighbor [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  9. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Bent toes = not good genetics.
    Out in cold, wet weather = frisky normal chickens. Mine would rather sit outside in pouring rain than inside the nice, warm, dry barn. Go figure.

10. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    Bent toes are also indicitive of not having the incubator at a proper humidity setting. Wire cages or bad hatches because of humidity are usual culprits. Do not accept bent toes as OK. Call the hatchery and tell them to either refund or replace bent toes or beaks. they know better than to ship deformed chicks. Bent toes do not have an outcome except to eliminate your birds from competion and make them look like "funny feet". Bent beaks COULD affect the fowls eating ability but usually not. jmo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by