One new baby on christmas day.

Sissy

Songster
12 Years
Jul 18, 2007
Sevier county, Tn.
Went out to check the coop on Christmas day and found a little fuzzy butt just taking a stroll around the nest box.with her mama watching and following close behind. We are having 18*cold weather and about
40 in the afternoon what do I do to keep her warm should
Her and mama go to a seperate cage inside the coop? as Idid before but then had a lot of trouble re-intruducing them.in to the flock.
I have a 125 white heat lamp and she has been eating.
I didnt expect her so have no starterfeed, I am feeding her hard boiled eggs.I dont want to buy a whole bag of starter for one chick.
what else can I feed her. she was a nice surprise, Mama had her hidden. any advice?

I'd put her in a smaller coop with a heat lamp on one end lower so that the chick can get under it if its not under its mother and just bake up a pan of REGULAR I mean no onions and no sweeting PLAIN cornbread and crumble it up. Back in the day thats all they fed their chicks! Corn bread!

You might consider buying a bag of chick starter and just giving it to your other hens as well (along with their layer feed). The extra protein would be good for any who are molting. IDK Just an idea. Corn meal would work but it doesn't have the nutrients new chicks need and your chick's growth may be compromised. True they used to give chicks corn meal in other times but I bet the chickens were alot smaller then.
hmm.png

Go to your feed mill and ask them if you can buy a small quantity (5 lbs) of chick starter. Most will offer it if they mill it there and even feed stores that supply Purina (and other manufactured feeds) often get a broken bag that they can't sell otherwise and will rebag it in smaller amounts. It's worth a try. The baby needs chick starter for well rounded proper nutrition.

Thank u all, just went out and checked on the new little one and mama is sure covering her well. I will get to the mill; and get some chix starter. and Idid put in an extra heat light near the nest.
and a partion between the older hens so as not to have this one stumped on.

Mine just use the same coop as everyone else, mama hen keeps the others in line. I put out a feeder with grower and some water at ground level for the chicks; the other chickens have handing food/water. Mama and the chicks retreat to a nest box or corner for the night, but the chicks run around eating & scratching while everyone else is preening before the night's sleep. I've had 4 broods raised this way, the youngest are 4 weeks old tomorrow and have just started going out during the day with mama instead of staying in the coop. This morning they were out eating a morning hot treat with all the other chickens in the 19 degree temps.

Back
Top Bottom