1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One new chick not so perky

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AshleyRae, Mar 8, 2014.

1. AshleyRae

AshleyRae Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2014
    I got my first four girls today, and I am all ready in love with them. Three of them are all ready eating and drinking and talking and looking around since we got back from the store, but one is just laying down and only moves when one of her sisters (I don't know that they are biological sisters, but they are here) walks on her. She's right under the lamp where she'll be warmest. Is this all I can do for her? is there any way for me to make her feel better?

2. Tappy4me

Tappy4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    Virginia
    Do you have a Tractor supply nearby? I've been reading up through the forums here about Nutri-Drench. It's a supplement that is absorbed directly into the bloodstream via mouth and such, giving the chicks a big boost of sugar and some other electrolytes to get them up and going.

I'm sure another member will be along very shortly to give a better answer! I'm just starting out myself, but was reading really good things about this. I bought some today to have on hand for my chicks!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  3. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    I hope she will perk up for you but sometimes they just don't. You can use a tiny drop of children's liquid vitamins on the side of the beak so it stimulates her to drink it. Then you might try to get her to drink a drop or twi of water.

Good luck.

4. AshleyRae

Mar 8, 2014
    I picked her up and she made a racket. I got her to drink a couple sips of water. She's got some fight in her, so I'm not giving up yet.

5. AshleyRae

Mar 8, 2014
    She didn't make it. Before I went to bed I separated her so the others wouldn't walk on her, but she was just too weak I guess. She seemed better. My others are just fine. It's just too sad.

6. neecy911

neecy911 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2014
    Chico (No.Cal)
    Sorry to hear you lost one...I also have one that is just not as energetic as the others and will only up and run when the others bump into her...Hoping she is just lazy, holding my breath... [​IMG]

7. Tappy4me

Tappy4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    Virginia
    So sorry to hear! Seems like there's always some that just don't thrive and make it. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by