1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One new chick that I want to integrate with my other baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NCchicken, Jun 15, 2011.

1. NCchicken

NCchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    So I was given a very very sweet pullet that is about 5-7 weeks old yesterday. I want to integrate her in with my other 7 4.5 week old chicks. I just made an attempt to integrate and my one head cockerel chased her away and won't let her come close to the flock. My other pullets could care less about her, but my three cockerels, especially the head one, just wouldn't tolerate her eventhough she is bigger and older than he is. What should I do to help integrate them? While the sweet pullet was trying to get away from my head cockerel she got a tiny cut on her foot where the nail and skin meet. I picked her up and cleaned it off and stuck her in the brooder for now. She is just sitting in the brooder crying:( Should I put her in a wire mesh dog crate in with the other 4.5 week olds for a few days and see how it goes? I would bring her in at night of course. Oh I should also mention that this is the first night that the 4.5 weeks old will be in the coop, hence why my brooder in my house is free for my sweet pullet to use right now. What would you do? Thanks!

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Take the Roos out for awhile or at least the dominant Roo and let her associate with the rest of the flock. After a few days let him back in and see what happens.

3. NCchicken

NCchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Thanks cmom, I'll try that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by