One new hen ... now I have questions !!! Need answered quickly pwease

Julie_in_PA

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 15, 2008
Southern PA
I posted in another post about some chickens that I was offered for FREE. Well, I just got home from going to see them.
I didn't get them all. Here's why ... I talked to the people and they said they hens haven't laid eggs for MONTHS ... ?? So what's up with that ? There was one hen who's younger ... she's only a few months old, so I said I'd take her and leave the rest. So I brought one hen home (the younger one - I hope - atleast, she's the one with the smaller comb), and told the people that I'd contact them to let them know if I want the others.
I'm really confused as to why they haven't laid any eggs in months ... I can understand why the younger one isn't laying - she's not 6 months yet. But why wouldn't the others be laying ? They're approx 2 years old.
In chat it was mentioned that stress can do it. So now I'm concerned about what they might be stressed from ... since the hen I DID bring home was in with the other hens that aren't laying eggs.

Also - this hen's legs don't look the same as my hens ... is there a reason why ? She is a different breed ... but is there a different reason (sickly) ?

Right now the hen is still in the dog crate in my car (with the windows cracked for air flow). I haven't done ANYTHING with her yet. I just want to take all precautions and know what I'm dealing with.

Are you positive the other hens are two, or is that just what the folks are saying? They could be a lot older.

OH, or it just occurred to me, i adopted some hens last year. The people said they had stopped laying, probably as it was nearing winter. Well, turns out they laid just fine, and then they all jumped on the egg and ate it!

On the legs, does she just have a different color? Or do they look weird and scaly? Can you take a picture?

Hens can quit laying due to season's change, a molt or because are/have been broody. It is natural. It is also possible they haven't been getting proper nutrition or that they are sick. I'm not sure about the legs. I have experience with multiple breeds and every breed is diffeent in terms of color, thickness and length in legs.

it could be just their age; they could have been molting; or who knows. If you want good layers I can understand your caution.

in what way are your hen's legs different -- if the new one's legs look thick and lumpy and elephantine, I am thinking scaly leg mites (which are a real problem and need quarantine and treatment). OTOH if it's just a different color, that's prolly ok, different chickens have different color legs.

Good luck,

Pat

Ok ... Here's pictures of the one I brought home ...

100_7916.jpg

100_7912.jpg

100_7915.jpg

What do you think ? I'm new to chickens, so any help would be appreciated. What breed do you think she is ? What's with her legs ? Does she look approx 5 months or so old ?

One possible reason is that they are laying internally. I have a RIR who hasn't laid an egg in six months. This year, I've lost three hens to internal laying. They quit laying, then began to lose weight in spite of good appetites. We did necropsies on them and found egg material in the oviduct packed like sausages in casing.
Molting birds will often not lay till well after their feathers have regrown. I have one who hasn't laid in about two months now. She was molting but even after being fully feathered again, no eggs.

Your new girl looks like she lost all the scales on her legs for some reason.

Last edited:
As for age of the other hens - they know that they are approx 2 years old. The way they know is because their son was only 1 year old when they got these chickens as peeps. Now he's 3.
The guy said he doesn't remember them laying eggs ever since last winter. The lady wasn't so sure - she thought perhaps it's been months, but not as far back as last winter. They said the hens DID lay a few eggs and hatched them out. Since then there haven't been any more eggs.

If it's something simple - I'll go in and get the rest of them. But if not, then they'll give them to the amish.
The rooster is big and orangish. Gorgeous ! I'd love to get him .... BUT he's seperate from the hens cause he fights them ... and I only have one stall for a seperation coop - so I'd have to throw them all in there together, and he'd probably fight them, so I don't know how I'd do that.
But anway, give me your opinions. I don't want to cause myself and my current flock any problems. So if they're sickly or something, then I'll just tell her to give the rest to the amish. And I need to know if there's anything special I should do for the hen I did bring home, plus my other questions answered in my last reply/s.

I don't know what is on her legs, but my guess is it will need some sort of treatment (mites, fungus, ...). I certainly wouldn't let her near your flock for a while.

Try posting the pics in the diseases and cures section and see what you find out.

I was to worried about her legs, etc. ... so I gave her to my Grandma. Grandma was happy to get her
smile.png

Thanks for all the opinions !

Back
Top Bottom