One of a pair died; what do we do now?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lollybird26, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Lollybird26

Lollybird26 New Egg

Nov 2, 2014
    We had a pair of Buff Orpington's that are about 2 1/2 years old. One was found dead in the coop the other day. The pair have been together since babies. What do we need to know to make the one left happy? These are the first chickens we have ever owned. Any help / advice would be very appreciated!

2. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    Welcome to BYC. I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Chickens are flock birds. It might make your Buff happy to have another chicken for company.

3. Lollybird26

Lollybird26 New Egg

Nov 2, 2014
    I was told that bringing in a pullet with an older chicken would be dangerous to the pullet.

4. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Get more chickens. It doesn't need to be another BO. Get what you want. Get at least 2 new chickens. That's the main reason people with little flocks have 3 birds. If one dies, you have 2 and not a lone chicken.

5. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    There will be some squawking and pecking for a week or so as they establish the pecking order but that is normal. Keep them where they can see each other but not mingle for a week or so they can kinda get used to each other. It might also be easier if you get 2 or 3 new chickens so it won't be one chicken taking all the pecking. They will work it out in a week or so. But keep in mind if one gets pecked until it bleeds get it away from the others until it heals. Chickens love to peck at wounds. Also keep in mind that when bringing in new chickens be sure to quarantine them for a few weeks until you are sure they are healthy. I know it sounds like a lot of hassle but chickens really do need the company of other chickens. It is in their nature to be in a flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by