One of Chickens got killed - trap "played" with

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Cetteia, May 14, 2011.

1. Cetteia

Cetteia New Egg

May 11, 2011
    [​IMG][​IMG] One of my daughters chickens got murdered yesterday. Have no idea what it may have been, was early morning, two areas of spontaneous feather explosion, and then the hen about 3 ft away. The ONLY thing wrong was its head was off, but right beside the body, the neck and shoulders were stripped of skin. I'm thinking mink, we live in the smokey mtns, TN side, so i set a live trap. The bait I used was the heart from the dead chicken, that was a little gross, and the head, removed the rest of the carcass and placed the trap were the dead chicken was. Grandad was the one who told me to do all this. Anyways, go down this morning, and low and behold the trap has moved, been turned upside down, and the bait is gone. [​IMG] What on this earth is smart enough to turn a live trap over and get the bait. I'm having chicken livers for supper tonite so was going to use one of the raw ones as bait. Was also going to "lock" the trap down with a piece of rebar. I need to get this animal. The chickens are all up, we dont like leaving them like that, and yes we know we are taking a risk loosing them, and they will stay up till this evil critter is caught. Im going to catch the momma hen this evening once she goes on the nest and move the nest and babies to a secure location. [​IMG] Hopefully nothing will get them today while waiting for dusk. Any suggestions would be helpful.

2. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    sound like a coon dig a hole put your bait in the hole and set the trigger of the trap over top of the hole then stake the trap down sometimes I just put a cinder block on top of the trap instead of staking it good luck

3. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    Quote:I agree...RACOON most likely. And I have a half cinder block on top of my trap to weight it down. All my chickens are away at night but I had a racoon kill one of my old cats while he was sleeping in his house next to my front door! Got that one but still try to keep the trap set. I have more cats. [​IMG] I hate racoons![​IMG]

4. Cetteia

Cetteia New Egg

May 11, 2011
    [​IMG]

Set 2 traps, a small one for a squirrel/mink/rat, just in case, and a coon sized one. The small one wasnt disturbed at all, the larger one had been sprung, the animal was gone and so was the can of tuna [​IMG]

I'm thinking human on that one, I dont know of an animal that can open up a live trap AND remove the bait can from it. So reset the trap, this time on the other side of the chicken house were it will not be visible from teh road. I was told by a neighbor that they saw a red fox in the area about 3 days ago. So back to waiting, poor babies are up and NOT enjoying it, they like to free range, managed to catch the momma hen and her 6 babies last nite and get them to safety so hopefully wont have anymore chickens killed.

5. Cetteia

Cetteia New Egg

May 11, 2011
    [​IMG] Got a predator last nite. Not the one I was planning, I dont think it was the one that killed the hen. Went to chicken house to feed, water, and to check the traps I had set. In the large trap I found a HUGE opossum, it was an old male, looked in rough shape, several wounds on him that looked like he was in a fight, covered in ticks, and just unhealthy looking. I have a feeling it was a very OLD and ill one, yes it has been humanly destroyed, my daughter is an excellent shot and as she put it, "it is near MY chickens, I have babies and it could kill them" so she one shot it for me. Measured the thing from tip to tip is was a whopping 32 1/2 inches, that is MASSIVE. Going to reset the traps see what else we can find.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by