One of four 22 week old EE

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by milola, Aug 18, 2014.

1. milola

milola Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Finally laid an egg yesterday. I was a little disappointed because the egg color was a sort of ugly light khaki greenish color. Rather putrid looking.

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Awesome first egg! That must be so exciting! The color is greenish?

3. milola

Mar 7, 2013
    Barely a greenish tint. More khaki than green but not really beige like a light brown egg. It really isn't pretty. I would have taken a picture but it probably wouldn't have shown true and it was on the thin-shelled side with a hole broken at one end.

4. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    Some folks covet the "olive egg" layers. I wouldn't mind one myself :)

5. milola

Mar 7, 2013
    Ha. Had it been olive it would be nice. It is much too light to be considered as such, I would think. What surprised me, is that I expected for it to be blue inside and it was the same weird color inside and out. I thought EE's having the blue egg gene made the greenish colors by being mixed with brown egg layers hence getting the brown or beige paint job over the blue colored calcium layer. Pfffttt. Shows you how much I understand about all of this.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Each girl will have a color that is unique to her. I think the expectation for BLUE eggs with EE is highly inflated. (In other words, false advertising. An EE can lay a very blue egg, but it can also be putty, brown, pink, green) So, it's not a brown egg. That makes it unique. Enjoy that first egg.

7. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Let us know if she continues with this interesting color! I'd love to see it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by