One of many - 1st Egg!

Medda

Songster
5 Years
Dec 5, 2017
Northern Middle TN
Hi all,
Well I’ve finally gotten my first egg. I didn’t see it yesterday evening around 5:30 but it was in the coop just now at 11 am. Hen laid it in the corner of the floor of the coop, not in the nesting box. I’ve got a community style box that has been in the coop for several weeks now. I guess I now need to figure out how to get them use the box, :lau.

Anyway, here it is (beside a store bought egg for comparison). It weighed in as a “PeeWee” :celebrate

17C6527A-B594-46E3-A25C-8C3089E98F46.jpeg

1DC6633F-D19E-4019-B294-0EC3FA2B7843.jpeg

Medda

Congrats on the first egg! My black sex link has been laying for about 3 weeks now, and her eggs are still that size. My daughter loves them and thinks they are so cute!

Congrats on your first egg! It is so exciting isn’t it?

We have a lot of tiny eggs here too. It is so funny as there is no in between in our coop either they lay tiny eggs or BIG eggs. We had one lay a monster sized egg that had 3 yolks the other day.

I just love collecting eggs . So much fun!

Congrats. The first few eggs are often found in odd places. Don't worry too much. Get some old plastic easter eggs, wooden decorative eggs or the fake eggs at a feed store and place 1 or 2 in the nest. This gives them a sign that the nest is safe. Other then that its really just a matter of preferance. They will lay where they feel is safest.

I have a new layer that laid her first (probably shell-less) up on the driveway, probably becuaee she didn't get know what it was. Often times first time layers will even drop thier eggs while sitting on the roosts becuase they don't understand what is going on, becuase they are frustrated that it won't come it and go up there to take a break, they pass it late at night. I mean really the reasons are endless.

It's like anything in life as a whole no one is perfect everytime and especially not the first time... but they do learn

Hi again,
So the first egg was on Saturday. On Sunday, I found a soft shelled egg that was broken in the coop. Yesterday i got a second fully formed egg, good shell, medium size. so far this morning, I've gotten a soft shell, intact egg and a hen was in the nest box playing house. I'm pretty sure more than one of my hens is starting to lay or is it possible it's the same hen who is laying: 1) tiny, intact egg 2) broken soft shell 3) medium intact and 4) peewee soft shell over 4 days?
thanks, Medda

PS - I have 13 hens who are between 17 and 19 weeks old. All of the eggs so far are brown/light brown so I don't think the 4 EE hens are laying yet....they are all 2 weeks younger than the others.

It's very possible the last small egg was a second layer. In some cases a close to laying hen can go in and out of the nests for 2-3 days before she lays an egg. I think it's hormones telling her to find an ideal spot.

Back
Top Bottom