One of my 2 week old chicks always sleeps away from the rest.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by melschulte, Feb 4, 2014.

1. melschulte

melschulte New Egg

Dec 28, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Hello - I am new to raising chickens (have my first 14 now) and have noticed one of my chicks rarely sleeps next to the rest. He is much more timid to the others and is the only one who does not run up to me when i put my hand in the brooder. He seems energetic enough but I am a worried chick mom. Is this something I should worry about / a sign of any possible problems? He was also the only chicken who seemed slow to adjust, and layer with his head down for the first two days we had him, but seemed to have no additional problems after the second day. Any suggestions anyone has would be awesome!

2. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    What breed chickens do you have? The reason I ask is that I got 6 chicks last spring and one of them - the only Delaware - would sleep off by herself. I worried much as you are, thought she was sick but she wasn't. She also does not like human interaction and would peck and bite my hand when I'd hand feed them boiled egg. The other chicks had no problem but that Delaware would bite the stuffing out of me!

She's almost a year old, is a great layer, but is still anti-social to all humans and not too fond of the other chickens. She is still a loner and is always - ALWAYS - the last to go to roost at night.

So, wouldn't be too worried about the one sleeping by itself. Some birds are just like that. Don't know if breed has anything to do with it but my only chick to act that way was the Delaware.

1 person likes this.
  3. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Yes, what breed? I had the same problem with her sleeping away from the rest and being very timid of other chicks, but she is very human friendly. She is almost two now and she still sleeps under the nest boxes away from the rest, even when it is freezing cold or boiling hot. I was always so worried but after a day of quietly observing the chickens she was eating and drinking normally. I think it just depends on your chickens personality. I don't think you need to be overly worried, but keep an eye on her. Just in case. I hope this helps! I'd be happy to have PMed updates on her! Good luck. ;)

1 person likes this.
  4. melschulte

melschulte New Egg

Dec 28, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Thanks for the response! =) She is one of a few Cochins in the brooder with some Buffs and Brahamas. It is great to hear that some hens are just a little less social than others - I guess I just worry when one is not like the rest! I will keep an eye on her, but she seems to be eating and drinking normally. I will keep you posted and thanks again for your response (and comfort)!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by