One of my 3 week old GLW Ellen is not doing well please help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by turtlechix, Aug 5, 2014.

1. turtlechix

turtlechix Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2014
    We discovered that she has been bullied by most of the other chickens to the point where she started to peck at her own toes, which I wrapped up in band aids. Now three days later after we took her away from the main flock aside from two other small GLW's that are really kind to her and sleep with her in a little group she is at the point she won't eat much, barely has enough energy to move around or keep her eyes open and is peeping weakly, On top of that her feet are super cold despite having the heating lamp close enough to keep her and the others warm! She is so sweet and when ever I'm around she tries her best to hop onto me and sits on me. I really don't want her die. Can someone please tell me what to do I really don't want another one of my chicky baby to die!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would wonder if she could have coccidiosis since she is at that age when it can be a problem. Symptoms are puffing up, poor appetite, diarrhea sometimes with blood, ruffled feathers, and the treatment is Corid or amprollium for 5 days. I would at least give her some electrolytes and vitamins, and scrambled egg before she gets weaker. Sugar water can work until you get the vitamins/electrolytes. Keep her heat lamp at 80 degrees with a thermometer on the floor under it. Here is a link to read: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

3. turtlechix

turtlechix Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2014
    I'll do this and see what happens. Thank you so much! Also how do you know of any way to keep the chicks from pecking at their own feet?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You might try putting her on puppy pads or paper towels in case something is irritating her feet. Some bad tasting ointments such as Bag Balm or an anti-pick lotion such as Rooster Booster may help with her pecking her feet. I would check for mites or lice, or if there are other critters biting her. Permethrin would help with bugs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by