One of my 5 chickens just suddenly died

ckno

Hatching
Mar 5, 2015
My 5 chickens are a little bit over a year it has been very cold in colorado but they have a heating lamp , they all stopped producing eggs due to the weather but all where in good spirits and then all of a sudden one of them just lays in the cold chicken run away from the nesting and heating area dead;( I am now so worried the others get sick , any suggestions what it might have been caused?

My 5 chickens are a little bit over a year it has been very cold in colorado but they have a heating lamp , they all stopped producing eggs due to the weather but all where in good spirits and then all of a sudden one of them just lays in the cold chicken run away from the nesting and heating area dead;( I am now so worried the others get sick , any suggestions what it might have been caused?

Welcome to our flock!
welcome-byc.gif
You know it could be so many different reasons. How often do you use a heat lamp? Did you have any power outages? Were they acclimated to going out in very cold weather? Do you have good ventilation in the coop? Are any of your birds having breathing issues? Do your birds get sunlight in the coop? Is there enough free choice oyster shell? Do your birds have pale combs and wattles that may signify internal or external parasites? How does their poop look? Are they/have they molted? What percentage of protein/type of feed do they eat? Yes, this is like an interrogation but we need to know in order to help you!

Maybe that chicken got bullied or chased out of the coop and died outside. There are so many scenarios, sometimes chickens just die for no apparent reason. I'm sorry for your loss.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss! I agree with the above poster, we'll need more info to help you troubleshoot and find the cause of death.

Good morning and welcome to BYC!

@justplainbatty and @drumstick diva have made good points. I'm sorry for your loss, it's always sad to lose one. You could post with as much information as possible on this section of BYC to maybe find some answers:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Hope your other birds are ok. It's nice to have you here.

Thank you all for all your replays, I always used s heating lamp ventilation is great they have a free run they can go anytime outside if they want , I was raised on a farm and as soon as the chicks had there real feathers my granny fed them kitchen scraps , so after the medicated food they got scraps and chicken feed as well , no mold in the coop popp looks like always .,., I am just baffled the chick looked not even sick laying there just like fell over done ?? So weard , thank you all so much, I sm do great I joined this group ;)))

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

I'm sorry about the loss of your hen.
hugs.gif
It is always hard to lose our beloved birds.

Back
Top Bottom