1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One of my adult quail died today

Discussion in 'Quail' started by krstms, Jul 11, 2011.

1. krstms

krstms MO Hick Chick

Sep 23, 2009
    Missouri
    [​IMG] My quail were fine when I went out to feed them this morning but when my son went out to refresh their water a little later one was laying in the cage dead. I am thinking right now that it may have been the heat. Our thermometer showed 103 today and the heat index was around 111. I think maybe it just got to hot for them. They are in a cage that is inside a shed. Window was open but it must have gotten too hot in there. (ONly 2 birds in the cage) I examined the bird and couldnt find anything wrong with it. No signs of disease or predator attack. It looked perfectly fine but was dead. The other quail seems fine but I put it in a cage outside so it could get more air. It too has no signs of illness or distress. The one that died had laid an egg this morning and had layed yesterday as well. No idea here as to what happened except maybe heat. No change in feed or living situation or anything like that. Any ideas from you guys is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Aw man, I'm sorry to hear about your quail. It's been quite hot here as well, but not as bad as where you are.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I am sorry to hear about your quail. [​IMG] I know my quail start to suffer when the temp in the aviary gets to 100 degrees. Any hotter, then I always watch them closely, hosing the place down if I have to. Icing the water. It does sound like a death from heat. So sorry. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by