1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One of my babies died and I am so upset!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AnKa, Mar 1, 2009.

1. AnKa

AnKa Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2009
    I only got them yesterday and this one just never wanted to eat - I tried pretty hard. I could get her to drink a little but not to eat.
    I am hoping I can get a replacement since this one was my only Silver Laced Wyandotte but I am sort of worried they will yell at me at the feedstore. The other 3 seem to be doing great, so I really hope I am doing things right.
    Sorry, just a pity party here, but maybe you can tell me if you've had chicks that didn't make it.
    On the plus side, the 'big girl' coop is making great strides. We're almost done framing it.

2. Skip

Skip Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry about your chick! [​IMG] We all loose a few now and then. It's part of the chicken experience. Don't feel bad!

And don't be afraid to tell the feed store what happened. They ought to know, but first try and figure out what happened to it. I can't offer you advice there, but I DO know that feed store chicks are notorious for bad quality.

3. Fresh Eggs

Fresh Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    That happened to me 2, it would not eat, it only drank with my help. I lost four. do not owrry, it is natural selection. They babies turned 1 month old two days ago, and are very happy!!

4. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    Sorry that happened to you. It can be especially hard the first time but most of us have experienced it at one time or another. It isn't your fault. No one will yell at you. I would go back to the feed store and get another one. Some people get extras just in case!

5. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    Quote:Feed stores buy from the same sources we do, but the chicks are under a lot of additional stress from the environment and from pesky children who just have to handle the chickies. As such, pasty butt and respiratory problems are rife.

Also, feed stores ARE notorious for telling you that they only order hens, when they often order straight run chicks which are a lot cheaper hoping you wonʻt come back in six months with a crowing roo under your arm demanding a refund for your chick and the 50 lbs of feed its eaten so far.

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:Feed stores buy from the same sources we do, but the chicks are under a lot of additional stress from the environment and from pesky children who just have to handle the chickies. As such, pasty butt and respiratory problems are rife.

Also, feed stores ARE notorious for telling you that they only order hens, when they often order straight run chicks which are a lot cheaper hoping you wonʻt come back in six months with a crowing roo under your arm demanding a refund for your chick and the 50 lbs of feed its eaten so far.

about 8 months ago I bought five chicks from our feed store, and only one turned out to be a rooster. I went back to the store with him, not for a refund, but to see if they'd take him to find him and home, they have done that before, but no such luck this time! Thank god I found him a good home when I went to our s. Florida Fair in Feb.

7. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Sorry about your loss, I just had 7 die today i lost a total of 21 i think. And i just figured out why, i had them have there mereks shot, and i read today that that shot lowers there immune system even more than a chick without it. So of course i had temp problems and because there immune system was not right in the first place because of the shot thats what happened, i know its because of the shot now, i had temp problems before that never happened to me . and for a week now our temp has been great the chickys loo like they were enjoying themselves until i looked in there today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by