One of my babies has runny/icky poo

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rachelwillow, Mar 6, 2013.

1. rachelwillow

rachelwillow Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2013
    I have 8 little ladies who are 3 weeks old today. When we got them, one (the Plymouth Rock) had a hard poop stuck below her vent but she wasn't blocked up. It seemed that she was having runny yellow poo. In my chicken book it recommended Sulmet's drinking water solution...I can't find that locally though. My local farm store showed me erythromycin but that doesn't seem to be the same thing, and they suggested I hold off on the antibiotics and try probiotics. So I've been doing probiotics in the water since we got them (at 5 days old) and I still see piles of runny poop in the box. It's firmer than it was before and no longer yellow, it's more like a large, soft, light brown poo. Like a gel consistency, not liquid. I can't be sure who it is, if it's still the plymouth rock or someone else. So what should I do? It definitely seems like it's an improvement from before but it's still not right. They all are active and seem healthy and are growing like weeds. I think the only way to get Sulmet's is to order online. Thanks for the help!

2. rachelwillow

Feb 19, 2013
    Actually it was the Maran who had the poopy butt when we got her. Not sure if it matters but my daughter just corrected me. :)

3. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    If it isnt yellow anymore its ok. Every 10 poos from a chicken will be the consistancy of pudding. This clears out the digetsive tract and then they go on to normal poo. I would keep with the probiotics, you can give a vit/min supplemnet in the water and even a couple tsp of unfiltered apple cider vinegar with the mother.

4. rachelwillow

Feb 19, 2013
    Ok great. That's exactly what it looks like, chocolate pudding! So probiotics and add ACV to the water too? AND a vitamin supplement in the water? Or a separate container? And do they need sand/grit?

5. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    I will usually do acv, seperate from the other 2 becuse the acid in acv can destroy some of the nutrients in the other 2. The probiotics and vit/min can be put in water together, you can find these at a local feed store. Usually around 4 weeks or even younger I will put a little sandbox in the brooder for them to play in. Grit I start sprinkling on their food once daily like salting your food, once they hit a 4 days. Make sure you get chick grit obviously for the small ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by