One of my babies isn't walking? Please help.

Georgetownchick

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 29, 2012
One of the baby chickens born last night does not seem to be walking. It is all fluffed out, cute as a button. Eyes open, chirps. I moved it to the brooder and put some food in front of it. It ate the food. When it is with the other chicks it gets stepped on and they try to get it to move and push on it. What should I do?

First I'd pick it up and check it over carefully. I had one a while back that had a vein or something that trapped it's leg. It didn't have blood in it so I cut it and the chick ended up just fine. Also they rest a lot so he may just be resting. However depending on the size of the brooder and number of chicks in there it is completely possible for them to get squished so I'd watch and see how it goes.

I looked it over and it seems ok. I seperated the chick from the others. He will flap his wings and try to get up but can't.

You should move him into a seperate cage with a heat source and fresh food and water. Check him over and make sure his legs look alright. Just keep him seperate from the other chicks and see if he walks in a couple of days and he is just resing or if he gets worse and gets sick.

Get a dish (like a small rubbermaid) put paper towels in it leave with other chicks in the bowl, it should find its legs in no time, the bowl puts it on it's feet. I did it and it took less the 2 hours and away she went to be with the others.

Back
Top Bottom