1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

one of my babies just died!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by petcrazy, May 1, 2016.

1. petcrazy

petcrazy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2016
    I am so sad. I went out to feed them before putting them in for the night. I gave them their feed as always and he gobbled it up so fast, he choked. Water was right beside him. I hate feeding them crumbles! I have been searching for a pellet form of anything to feed them. They are 6 weeks now. Every time I go looking for a different feed, they all tell me to keep them on crumbles.. it just makes me sick, he died right there in front of me..

2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I'm sorry for your loss [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Very sad for you.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. petcrazy

petcrazy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2016
    Thanks you guys. I still can't believe that happened. It was so horrible. Any suggestions on what I can feed other than the starter/grower crumble? They are a little over 6 weeks.

5. vr1967

vr1967 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2016
    Liberty, MS
    I wet my crumbles, and they tear them up. Not enough to make them soggy or soupy, just moisten them some.

Not sure if it would have helped in your case though

6. Duck Drover

Duck Drover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Washington
    I also feed wet crumbles because it helps them swallow. I have heard of ducklings choking to death on dry feed. If you look down a chicken's throat they have a strange mechanism that shoves dry feed down but ducklings need water to swallow. Giving them wet feed also keeps them from putting feed in their water to wet it down themselves. When they are nearly full grown I switch them to dry crumbles and then dry pellets (less feed waste) when they are full grown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by